MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin Lutheran College held Marian to without a field goal in the third quarter, out-scoring the visitors 21-3 to break open a two-point halftime lead on its way to a 71-51 victory over the Sabres on Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 71, Marian 51
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-3, 3-0 NACC), Marian (3-4, 1-3 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 143
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors jumped out to an early 11-2 lead 4:27 into the first quarter thanks to eight straight points from Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel).
- Marian came as close as five points and the Warriors led 23-17 after one quarter.
- The Sabres never led in the second quarter, but trailed by just two points at halftime, 35-33. WLC shot just 27.8 percent in the second quarter, compared to MU's 54.5 percent.
- Wisconsin Lutheran broke the game open in the third quarter, out-scoring the Sabres 21-3 and holding them to without a field goal the entire frame. Marian finally cracked the scoring column with just 0:51 seconds left in the quarter via a trio of free throws.
- WLC led by a game-high 20 points when the third-quarter clock expired and never let its lead slip below 15 points in the fourth quarter.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden scored a game-high 22 points and tied for a game-high eight rebounds to lead the Warriors.
- Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) stuffed the stat sheet with 11 points, eight assists, and six rebounds.
- The Warriors shot 45.8 percent (27-for-59) from the floor, compared to just 30.8 percent for the Sabres (16-for-52). Marian went ice cold in the second half, shooting 4-for-27 from the floor.
- Four Warriors corralled at least six rebounds as WLC out-rebounded Marian 41-34.
- WLC's bench out-scored MU's bench 18-7. Wynonah Filla (Osseo, Wis./Osseo-Fairchild) paced WLC's bench scoring with eight points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran dished out 20 assists on 27 made field goals.
- Brandi Bender scored 12 points to pace three players in double-figures for Marian.
- WLC now controls the all-time series with the Sabres, 41-13. The Warriors have won 15 straight meetings.
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts Concordia Chicago (2-2, 1-2 NACC) on Saturday at 4:15 p.m. in its final home game of the 2015 calendar year. The Cougars have a week off after dropping a 59-56 decision to Edgewood at home last Saturday. Live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com.