ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The Warriors attempted another comeback in their second game of the McWilliams Classic led by Jen Dowden's (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) game-high 17 points, but fell just short as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team suffered a 53-50 setback to Rhodes on Saturday night at the WU Field House.
- Final Score: Rhodes 53, Wisconsin Lutheran 50
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-3), Rhodes (4-5)
- Location: WU Field House, St. Louis, Mo. | Attendance: 121
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rhodes jumped out to a quick 10-2 advantage in the first quarter. Wisconsin Lutheran then used a 10-0 run to grab its first lead of the game at 12-10. The Lynx answered with a 6-0 run to lead at the end of the first quarter 16-10.
- The Warriors continued to battle, starting the second quarter with a 6-0 run for an 18-16 lead. Rhodes took control with an 11-0 run, but would be held scoreless for the last 5:53 of the period.
- WLC went on a 9-0 run to tie the game at halftime at 27-27. Dowden led the Warriors with 11 points in the opening half.
- After a back-and-forth third quarter, the game was tied at 36-36. The Lynx went on a 7-1 run to lead at the end of the third 43-37.
- In the fourth quarter, Rhodes led by as many as 10 points at 50-40, its largest lead of the contest. A 9-0 run by the Warriors made it 50-49 with :26 seconds remaining.
- The Lynx would make their free throws and hold on for the 53-50 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden led the Warriors with a game-high 17 points and eight rebounds. She was named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Karisa Pedersen (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) and Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) finished in double-figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- WLC held Rhodes to 33.9 percent shooting (19-for-56), but shot 43.8 percent (7-for-16) from downtown, compared to the Warriors who shot 37.8 percent (17-for-45) from the field.
- The Lynx out-rebounded Wisconsin Lutheran 41-30 and led in second-chance points 11-2.
- The Warriors were 11-for-21 from the free-throw line, shooting 52.4 percent, their lowest output of the season.
- Rhodes' Catherine Eckert scored 16 points and was the only player in double-figures for the Lynx.
- The Warriors return home for conference play Tuesday as they host Marian (3-3, 1-2 NACC) at 7 p.m. at the Recreation Complex. The Sabres were defeated Saturday at Benedictine 72-41. Live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.