MILWAUKEE – Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored a game-high 26 points and Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) added 25 for the second straight game as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team defeated No. 10 Calvin 86-80 at the Paul F. Knueppel Classic Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
- Final score: Wisconsin Lutheran 86, No. 10 Calvin 80
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-1), No. 10 Calvin (3-1)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 218
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wisconsin Lutheran started hot right out of the gate, opening up a 12-2 lead.
- Calvin fought back to trail by three, 23-20, at the end of the first quarter.
- After a back-and-forth second period with three ties and two lead changes, WLC would lead at halftime 40-36. The Warriors shot 54.8 percent from the field for the half.
- The Knights caught fire from beyond the arc in the third quarter, shooting 66.7 percent (8-for-12) to out-score WLC 31-20 in the period and lead 67-60.
- Calvin held the lead until the 3:14 mark of the fourth quarter.
- Knueppel drained back-to-back three pointers to give the Warriors their first lead at 79-77 since midway through the third.
- Abby Springer answered with a three of her own to put the Knights back in front 80-79.
- Dowden put Wisconsin Lutheran ahead for good with two free throws at the 2:08 mark.
- Knueppel sealed the game with her fifth triple of the afternoon with :37 seconds remaining in the contest.
- Dallas Chladek (Milwaukee, Wis./Pius XI) made her free throws with 0:12 left and the Warriors upset No. 10 Calvin 86-80 to go 2-0 at the Paul F. Knueppel Classic.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden led all scorers in the game with a season-high 26 points, shooting 73.3 percent (11-for-15) from the floor. She also grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.
- Knueppel added 25 points for the second straight night, going 5-of-8 from downtown.
- Chladek and Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) also finished in double-figures for the Warriors, with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
- Wynonah Filla (Osseo, Wis./Osseo-Fairchild) contributed nine points off the bench for WLC.
- The Warriors were perfect from the free-throw line, going 11-for-11, compared to Calvin's 37.5 percent (3-for-8).
- WLC out-rebounded the Knights 40-31 and dominated the points in the paint 46-20.
- Ali Spayde paced Calvin with 25 points, shooting 50 percent (6-for-12) from three-point range. Calvin was 17-for-35 from downtown in the contest, good for 48.6 percent.
- Knueppel was named the Most Valuable Player of the Paul F. Knueppel Classic. Dowden also was selected to the All-Classic team.
- The win was the Warriors' first over the Knights in their fifth all-time meeting. WLC has defeated a 10th-ranked team for the second time in as many seasons.
- Wisconsin Lutheran begins the defense of its seven straight Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference titles when it travels to cross-town rival MSOE (0-2, 0-0 NACC) next Tuesday at 7 p.m. The Raiders were defeated by No. 9 Washington (Mo.) 64-40 Saturday night. Live stats and video will be available on wlcsports.com.