MILWAUKEE - Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored a career-high 25 points and the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team out-scored Finlandia 46-16 over the second and third quarters as the Warriors defeated the Lions 68-40 on Friday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final score: Wisconsin Lutheran 68, Finlandia 40
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-1), Finlandia (0-3)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 327
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions capitalized on a slow start by WLC, leading 11-9 at the end of the first quarter. The Warriors shot just 21.1 percent (4-for-19) in the opening quarter.
- Knueppel caught fire in the second quarter to give the Warriors a 16-point lead going into the break, scoring 13 points, including an eight-point run of her own. Her layup at the 6:33 mark gave WLC the lead of which it would never give back.
- The Warriors blew the game open in the third, out-scoring the Lions 21-9. Knueppel's buzzer-beating three extended the lead to 28 points.
- Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) added seven points in the third to contribute to the run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Knueppel led all scorers in the game with a career-high 25 points, including six buckets from behind the arc.
- Dowden contributed 11 points and seven boards for the Warriors.
- Katy Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) contributed 11 points off the bench for WLC.
- The difference in the game came from the charity stripe, where the Warriors went 20-for-29 compared to Finlandia's 6-for-9.
- WLC, which led by a game-high 32 points with 5:33 left in the fourth quarter, converted 30 Lions turnovers into 28 points.
- Gabby Hebert paced Finlandia with 10 points, the only player on her team to reach double-figures.
- WLC returns to action in the Paul F. Knueppel Classic on Saturday when it hosts No. 10 Calvin (3-0) at 3 p.m. inside the Recreation Complex. The Knights defeated Martin Luther in Friday night's first game, 85-60. Live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com.