DEKALB, Ill. – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team came up short, shooting only 26.0 percent from the floor, against Division I Northern Illinois in a 69-42 loss in the season opener Tuesday night at the NIU Convocation Center.
- Final Score: Northern Illinois 69, Wisconsin Lutheran 42
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), Northern Illinois (1-1)
- Location: Convocation Center, DeKalb, Ill. | Attendance: 397
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Northern Illinois started the game on a 6-0 run before Katy Walz (Waukesha, Wis./West) scored the first basket for the Warriors at the 5:24 mark in the first quarter. Wisconsin Lutheran never led in the contest.
- The Huskies then used a 21-6 run to lead 27-9. NIU would lead at the half 33-14.
- WLC shot 16.7 percent in the first half opposed to 41.2 percent for Northern Illinois.
- Wisconsin Lutheran came within 18 points with 7:54 remaining in the third quarter, but wouldn't pull any closer.
- The Warriors played even with the Huskies in the fourth quarter as each team scored 19 points. WLC shot 53.8 percent in the period.
- The Huskies led by a game-high 33 points with 4:17 left in the game to come away with the win. NIU shot a scorching 57.7 percent in the second half, while WLC improved to 34.6 percent.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) dropped in 10 points in her Warriors debut as she was the only player to reach double-figures.
- Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) scored nine points, while Walz chipped in seven. Bahr also corralled eight rebounds on the night.
- WLC shot just 26.0 percent (13-for-50) for the game from the floor and went 10-of-16 at the free throw line.
- Natecia Augusta poured in 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead Northern Illinois. Courtney Woods also added 10 points.
- NIU shot 48.3 percent (29-for-60) for the game.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was out-scored 46-10 on points in the paint and 12-0 in fast break points.
- The Warriors return to Milwaukee hosting Finlandia (0-2) in the Paul F. Knueppel Classic Friday at 7 p.m. for their home opener. The Lions were defeated by Carroll 71-48 on Sunday. Live stats and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.