WHEATON, Ill. – Kristen Schulz (Safford, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) set a NCAA Division III record with her 27th double-double of the season to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team to a thrilling 70-67 overtime win over 10th-ranked Wheaton Friday at King Arena. The Warriors, who won their second NCAA Tournament game, advance to face No. 14 Hope Saturday at 7 p.m. with a Sweet 16 berth at stake.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 70, Wheaton 67 (OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (24-4), Wheaton (24-4)
- Series: Wheaton leads the all-time series 4-2.
- Location: King Arena, Wheaton, Ill. | Attendance: 658
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors fell behind 10-3 with 4:22 gone by for its largest deficit of the game. WLC tied the score at 15-15, but could never quite get over the hump as it trailed for the rest of the first half, including one point on five different occasions.
- Wisconsin Lutheran kept things tight as it trailed by just five points, 35-30, at halftime. The Warriors shot 37.9 percent (11-for-29) in the first half, while Wheaton was slightly better at 40.5 percent (15-for-37).
- The Warriors took their first lead of the game when they opened the second half on an 11-1 run. WLC's five-point lead was its largest of the game.
- The Thunder answered with six straight and the lead changed hands five times through the remainder of regulation. Maggie Gartner's (Springdale, Ark./Har-Ber) layup with 1:06 left tied the game at 64-64 and the teams held each other without a field goal the rest of the period.
- Gartner gave the Warriors the first lead in overtime and they held it until 1:55 left when Wheaton went back in front 67-66.
- A Schulz layup with 1:23 left and a pair of Gartner free throws with :22 seconds remaining proved to be the deciding factor as a Thunder three-pointer missed as time expired.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot 43.8 percent (28-for-64) for the game, while the Thunder were held to 35.6 percent (26-for-73).
- Schulz finished with 27 points and 20 rebounds for her NCAA record-setting 27th double-double of the season. Gartner followed with 14 points and 12 rebounds for her sixth double-double of the year, and Christel Frey (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) was the third player to reach double-figures with 10 points.
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) made a trio of three-pointers as the Warriors were 5-for-7 from behind the arc.
- WLC edged Wheaton on the glass 46-45 after being out-rebounded 25-17 in the first half.
- The Warriors dominated points in the paint, 42-22. Wheaton held the edge in points off turnovers (17-9) and bench points (14-6).
- Hannah Considine scored 16 points, including 10 in the second half, to lead three players in double-figures for the Thunder.
- "What a great battle. We fell down early, but what a gutsy effort from our players. Our plan is to win two games and start another new season on Monday." - Head Coach Klay Knueppel
- Wisconsin Lutheran faces No. 14 Hope (24-4) Saturday at 7 p.m. at King Arena. The winner advances to the Sweet 16. Links to live audio, stats, and video will be available at wlcsports.com. Hope defeated Bethel (Minn.) 75-63 in Friday's other first round game.