MILWAUKEE - Kristen Schulz (Safford, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) and Maggie Gartner (Springdale, Ark./Har-Ber) each recorded double-doubles and five players reached double-figures as the top-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team cruised to an 83-61 win over fifth-seeded Concordia Chicago Wednesday in a NACC Tournament Semifinal game at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 83, Concordia Chicago 61
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (22-4), Concordia Chicago (16-11)
- Series: The Warriors lead the all-time series 17-2. WLC has won eight straight over the Cougars.
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 270
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Chicago jumped out to a 3-0 lead, but it turned out to be its only lead of the game. The Warriors responded with a 24-3 run through the next 9:34 of the opening half.
- CUC came no closer than 12 points the rest of the first half as WLC went into halftime ahead 43-21 after Bethany Unkefer's (Phoenix, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) three-pointer just before time expired. WLC's 22-point halftime lead was its largest of the first half.
- Gartner reached a double-double in the opening 20 minutes alone with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Schulz was just two points shy with eight points and 15 boards.
- The Warriors shot 41.2 percent (14-for-34) in the first half, while the Cougars were held to just 24.2 percent (8-33).
- CUC opened the second half with a 13-7 run to close within 16 points at the 17:02 mark, but would get no closer the rest of the way.
- The Warriors increased their lead to a game-high 31 points with 7:55 to play after Karisa Pedersen (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) drained one of her five three-pointers on the night.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors finished the contest shooting an even 50 percent (30-for-60), the fourth straight game of 50 percent or higher. The Cougars went for 34.3 percent (23-for-67).
- Schulz paced all scorers with 19 points and 21 rebounds for her 25th double-double of the season. Gartner (16 points, 12 rebounds), Pedersen (15 points), Christel Frey (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) (13 points), and Unkefer (10 points) also reached double-figures for the Warriors.
- WLC out-rebounded CUC 48-31, as Gartner and Schulz combined for 33 rebounds.
- Wisconsin Lutheran dominated both points in the paint (38-22) and second-chance points (19-8).
- WLC extended its homecourt winning streak against conference opponents to 40 straight games and improved to 20-3 all-time in NACC Tournament games.
- Morgan Jahnke (16 points) and Kassy Koehler (12 points) reached double-figures for the Cougars as they were a combined 6-for-13 from three-point range
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts second-seeded Benedictine (18-9) Saturday at 7 p.m. as the top two seeds battle in the NACC Tournament Final for a NCAA Tournament berth. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. Benedictine defeated third-seeded MSOE tonight, 71-59. The Warriors defeated the Eagles 77-60 and 59-52 in each of their prior meetings this season.