MILWAUKEE - Kristen Schulz (Safford, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) tied a career-high with 37 points and pulled down 14 rebounds as the top-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team defeated eighth-seeded Aurora 71-48 Saturday night in a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament Quarterfinal matchup at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 71, Aurora 48
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (21-4), Aurora (8-18)
- Series: The Warriors lead the all-time series with the Spartans 14-4. WLC has taken nine straight meetings from AU.
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 237
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors and Spartans played a tightly-contested opening 10 and a half minutes of the first half as three ties and one lead change occurred .
- With the score knotted at 14-14 with 9:29 remaining, the Warriors went on a 19-2 run to close the first half and headed into halftime ahead 33-16. WLC locked down defensively as it held AU without a field goal for the final nine and a half minutes of the first half.
- The Warriors shot 45.8 percent (11-for-24) in the first half, while the Spartans were held to just 19.4 percent (6-for-31).
- WLC limited AU to just three points for the first 7:31 of the second half as it built a 43-19 lead.
- The Spartans came no closer than 18 points over the final 10:53 of the game as the Warriors extended their lead to a game-high 27 points at 65-38 with 3:14 remaining.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot an impressive 58.3 percent (14-for-24) in the second half as Schulz scored 21 points on 8-for-10 shooting.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors finished the contest shooting 52.1 percent (25-for-48), while the Spartans went for just 31.1 percent (19-for-61).
- Schulz tied her career high that she first established a week ago against Rockford. Although she was the only player to reach double-figures, eight other players reached the scoring column.
- Christel Frey (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) added nine points and Maggie Gartner (Springdale, Ark./Har-Ber) grabbed nine rebounds.
- WLC out-rebounded AU 44-24.
- Wisconsin Lutheran controlled points in the paint (38-12), second-chance points (14-4), and bench points (21-8).
- The Forest Green and White went 17-for-21 from the charity stripe for 81.0 percent, its second-best performance of the season.
- WLC extended its homecourt winning streak against conference opponents to 39 games and improved to 19-3 all-time in NACC Tournament games.
- Shannon Koski, the NACC's second-highest scoring player, scored 15 points on just 6-for-24 shooting. Bethany Dorrington added 11 points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts fifth-seeded Concordia Chicago (16-10) Wednesday at 7 p.m. in a semifinal matchup at the Recreation Complex. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com. The Cougars upset fourth-seeded Concordia Wisconsin 65-58 in Saturday's quarterfinal game. The Warriors defeated the Cougars by an average of 23.5 points in both prior meetings this season.