ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Kristen Schulz (Safford, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) scored 27 points, grabbed 16 rebounds, and blocked seven shots as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team defeated Rowan (N.J.) 76-70 Saturday night in their final game of the St. Pete Classic at the McArthur Center.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors won for the fifth straight time to improve to 6-3 overall, while the Profs lost for just the second time this season to fall to 9-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors fell behind 5-0 early, but weren't phased as they used a 15-2 run to take a 21-9 lead at the 12:20 mark of the first half.
- The Profs closed within six points at 32-26 with 4:31 left in the period, and again the Warriors responded with an 11-3 run to close the first half with a 43-29 lead.
- The Warriors shot a red-hot 63.0 percent (17-for-27) in the first half, while Rowan shot just 31.6 percent (12-for-38).
- WLC shot a sizzling 56.3 percent (7-for-12) from downtown in the first half, fueled by Caitlin Knueppel's (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) 5-for-6 performance.
- The Warriors opened the second half by building a game-high 16-point lead three times during the opening 4:21 of play.
- Rowan cut the Warriors' lead to six points at 61-55 with 7:16 remaining before another Warriors 10-2 run gave them a 71-57 lead with 3:37 on the clock.
- The Profs responded with a 13-2 run to cut their deficit to just three points with just five seconds left before two free throws from Schulz sealed the WLC win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot 54.0 percent (27-of-50) for the game, while the Profs shot 36.8 percent (28-for-76).
- Knueppel poured in a career-high 18 points on six three-pointers and was joined in double-figures by Christel Frey's (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) 11 points.
- WLC committed 22 turnovers opposed to 12 for Rowan, but still out-scored the Profs 17-13.
- RU out-rebounded WLC 42-26.
- Bria Hill scored a team-high 19 points to lead three players in double-figures for Rowan.
- Wisconsin Lutheran will enjoy the rest of their Christmas holiday before traveling to Dominican (1-10, 0-6 NACC) on Saturday, January 3 for a 2:00 p.m. tip-off. Live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com.