MILWAUKEE - Chyann Pendergrass (Westminster, Calif./Westminster) scored 23 points off the bench to lead five players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team used a balanced scoring attack for an 87-83 victory over previously unbeaten Marian Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex.
WHERE THEY STAND
- WLC upped its record to 4-3 overall and 4-1 in NACC play, while Marian suffered its first loss of the season to drop to 7-1 overall and a 4-1 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sabres used an aggressive press and started the game on a 6-0 run, and remained thoroughly in control to lead 19-9 with 11:52 remaining in the half.
- The Warriors began to chip away at the lead and cut the Marian lead to 34-28 with 3:19 to go in the first half.
- A Pendergrass three pulled WLC even at 39 apiece before Emma Jarvey hit a trey with three seconds remaining to put MU up at the break 42-39.
- In the first half, the Warriors were 7-of-10 from deep to shoot a scorching 70 percent.
- Caitlin Knueppel's (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) three gave the Warriors their first lead of the game at 46-45 with 16:12 to play.
- WLC wouldn't relinquish the lead again, and had its largest lead of the game with 9:00 minutes remaining at 60-52.
- The Sabres hung around using three pointers and free throws, but Pendergrass made five consecutive free throws late to seal the Warriors victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors were 11-for-20 (55.0 percent) from beyond-the-arc while holding Marian to 28.6 percent from downtown (6-for-28).
- WLC shot 76.5 percent from the free throw line (26-for-34), compared to the Sabres' 68.2 percent (15-for-22).
- Pendergrass led the Warriors with 23 points and four assists. Maggie Gartner (Springdale, Ark./Har-Ber) contributed 14 points and seven boards.
- Knueppel chipped in 13 points and was 4-of-6 on three pointers. Christel Frey (Milwaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) and Karisa Pedersen (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) also were in double figures for WLC.
- Sarah Olewinski led all scorers with 24 points and five assists for MU. Three other Sabres' reached double digits.
- The Warriors' bench outscored Marian 39-23 and WLC outrebounded MU 36-33.
- WLC travels to St. Petersburg, Fla., for the St. Pete Classic Friday and Saturday. The Warriors play Wells (2-3) Friday at Noon CST.