MILWAUKEE - Kristen Schulz (Safford, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) scored 21 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead four players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team began its NACC title defense with an 85-36 win over Alverno Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors earned their first win of the season to move to 1-2 overall and 1-0 in the NACC. Alverno dropped its third-straight game and fell to 1-4 overall and 0-2 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors jumped out to a commanding 24-3 lead at the 11:05 mark of the first half. WLC made five three-pointers during the nine-minute span, and finished with eight for the half.
- WLC led by a first-half high 26 points at 35-9 with 5:19 left in the opening half after Hannah Harmeyer (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) made her first of two three-pointers to end the half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran led 38-13 at the halftime break.
- The Warriors scored the first six points to open up the second half and never looked back.
- Wisconsin Lutheran led by a game-high 49 points with 35 seconds left in the second half on its way to the convincing conference-opening victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors shot 48.5 percent (33-for-68) from the floor for the game, including 57.6 percent (19-for-33) in the second half.
- Schulz notched her third-straight double-double in just 25 minutes of action.
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran), Karisa Pedersen (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel), and Harmeyer added 11 points each to round out the double-figure scorers for the Warriors.
- WLC finished the game shooting 54.2 percent (13-for-24) from three-point range.
- The Warriors dominated points off turnovers, 33-6, and points in the paint, 38-18.
- All 15 players who dressed for WLC saw action on the court.
- Katelyn Bartlett and Mollie Mikyska scored 10 points each to lead Alverno.
- The Inferno were held to just 24.5 percent (13-for-53) shooting for the game.
- The win was the Warriors' 29th straight home victory over a conference opponent.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plays its first road game of the season Wednesday at Lakeland (0-3, 0-1 NACC). Live stats and video for the 7 p.m. conference contest will be available at wlcsports.com.