MILWAUKEE - Kristen Schulz (Safford, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) notched a game-high 22 points and tied her career high with 21 rebounds, but a late 13-0 surge by visiting George Fox sent the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team to a 65-58 non-conference defeat in the Paul F. Knueppel Classic Saturday night inside the Recreation Complex.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors fell to 0-2 on the season while the Bruins won both of their contests as part of the Classic to improve to 4-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WLC opened up a 9-2 lead early and pushed the advantage to 17-7 with 11:13 remaining in the first half.
- A 7-0 run by the Bruins tied the score at 20 with 3:40 to go in the opening half. The Warriors trailed briefly at 22-21 before finishing the half on an 8-0 run to take a 29-22 lead into the break.
- Schulz already had achieved a double-double by halftime with 12 points and 13 rebounds.
- WLC doubled up George Fox in shooting percentage in the first half, knocking down 42.9 percent (9-of-21) while holding the Bruins to 21.1 percent (8-of-38) from the field.
- The Warriors went on a 14-5 run in the second half, capped by back-to-back threes by Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) to take a game-high 13-point lead at 47-34 with 7:08 left to play.
- The lead was eight at 54-46 with 4:39 on the clock before the Bruins went on a 13-0 run in just two minutes and 16 seconds, capped by a three-pointer from Jami Morris to grab a 59-54 lead with 2:23 remaining.
- WLC pulled to within three after another triple by Knueppel with 21 seconds to play, but George Fox was 6-of-6 at the free throw line in the final minute to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Schulz was 9-of-15 from the field in the second 20-20 effort of her career, and added a game-high five blocks and team-high four assists. She was joined in double figures by Bethany Unkefer (Phoenix, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) (10 points), and Knueppel (10).
- Morris paced the Bruins with 19 points, dished out five assists, and swiped four steals. Sammy Naluai scored 15 and Lauren Codling grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- WLC outshot George Fox 40.4 percent to 28.9 percent overall and also shot a scorching 70 percent (7-of-10) from beyond the arc. The Warriors struggled at the charity stripe, hitting just 52 percent (13-of-25) while the Bruins made 68.8 percent (11-of-16).
- The Warriors controlled the glass 50-42 but George Fox held a 20-13 advantage in offensive boards and a 16-6 edge in second-chance points.
- WLC committed 25 turnovers while forcing just seven, and the Bruins dominated points off turnovers 20-7, including a 16-0 advantage in the second half.
- Schulz was named the Most Valuable Player of the Paul F. Knueppel Classic, and was joined by Morris and Justine Benner of the Bruins on the All-Classic Team. DePauw's Emma Ondik and UW-Whitewater's Lisa Palmer were also selected to the team.
- Wisconsin Lutheran begins the defense of its six straight Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference titles when it hosts Alverno (1-3, 0-1 NACC) next Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Recreation Complex. Live stats and video will be available on wlcsports.com.