MEQUON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team scored three runs in the top of the seventh inning in game two versus the host Concordia Wisconsin Falcons to secure a split Wednesday afternoon at the CUW Softball Field. After falling 4-0 in game one, the Warriors scored three runs in the top of the final inning in game two, breaking a 1-1 tie and securing a crucial split against the Falcons for the sixth straight season. With the win, seventh-year head coach Bill Curtis became the program's all-time wins leader with 120.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 4, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-17, 8-8 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (17-15, 7-9 NACC)
- Location: CUW Softball Field, Mequon, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis.) opened game one with a double to left center field, then advanced to third on sacrifice bunt from Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.), but Belongia was stranded on third as WLC was unable to drive her home.
- The Falcons opened the scoring in the bottom of the third inning after two walks, then a three-run homerun from Jenna Pozezinski.
- Concordia Wisconsin added one more run in the bottom of the fourth after an RBI double from Molly O'Connell, pushing its lead to 4-0.
- CUW threatened again in the bottom of the fifth inning, loading the bases with two outs, but the Warriors escaped the jam after a strikeout from Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.).
- The Warriors were unable to gather any momentum in the sixth or seventh innings of the contest, falling 4-0.
- Mahsem took the loss for WLC, throwing 5.0 innings while allowing four earned runs and striking out five.
- Belongia and Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill.) each collected two hits in the contest.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors started the game with three straight two-out singles from Mahsem, Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.), and Ritacco, but were unable to score any runs after a play at the plate ended the inning.
- WLC got on the board in the top of the second inning after Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.) singled up the middle, followed by a double by Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis.) that put runners on second and third. Gracie Wilson (Deerfield, Wis.) drove home Lindemann with a groundout to second, giving the Warriors a 1-0 advantage.
- The Falcons earned a run back in the bottom of the third after loading the bases, then a walk drove one run in. Mahsem avoided further damage in the inning with a foul out and strikeout to end the threat.
- CUW threatened in the bottom of the sixth inning, loading the bases with two outs in the inning, but Mahsem induced a fly out to right field that ended another scoring chance.
- The Warriors put three runs across in the top of the seventh inning after Wilson led off the inning with a single to left field, then Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis.) ripped a double to left center that scored Wilson, giving the Warriors a 2-1 advantage. Mahsem followed with a single up the middle that scored Davis and then Bjork capped off the inning with a double of her own, scoring the third run of the inning for WLC.
- After a CUW single to lead off the bottom of the seventh, Mahsem induced a pop out and then a 1-6-3 double play that ended the game, securing the much-needed split for WLC.
- Mahsem, Bjork, and Maddie Lindemann each had two hits for the Warriors, while Mahsem picked up her 10th win of the season in the circle. She overcame six walks by striking out seven and allowing a run on just four hits.
FOR THE FOES
- Five different Falcons collected hits in the opener, with Pozezinski driving in three runs. O'Connell earned the win for CUW, dealing a complete game while allowing four hits.
- Jamie Reiser collected the lone RBI for the Falcons in game two while Nicole Lewis took the loss, allowing four runs and 11 hits over 6+ innings of work.
- The Warriors conclude their home slate of the 2018 campaign when they host Dominican (16-18, 10-8 NACC) Friday afternoon for Senior Day. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Live stats will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.