PLYMOUTH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team earned its second straight NACC split against the host Lakeland Muskies Sunday afternoon in Plymouth. Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.) tossed her 11th complete game of the season in a 2-0 victory in game one, but the Warriors fell 3-1 in the second contest of the day.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 2, Lakeland 0; Lakeland 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-14, 5-7 NACC), Lakeland (9-17, 4-8 NACC)
- Location: Muskie Softball Field, Plymouth, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors got on the board in the top of the first inning when Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.) singled through the left side, scoring Karah Ritacco (Chiago, Ill.), who reached base on an error earlier in the frame.
- WLC added its second run in the top of the second inning when Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) walked, then advanced to second base on a sacrifice bunt by Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis.). Gracie Wilson (Deerfield, Wis.) followed with a single then Ericson crossed home plate after a throwing error by the pitcher, pushing the Warriors lead to 2-0.
- LU threatened to score in the bottom of the second inning after a leadoff double followed by a sacrifice bunt, but Mahsem induced a groundout and fanned the final batter of the inning to escape the jam.
- The Muskies threatened again in the bottom of the sixth inning after two singles in the inning, but a foul out ended any hopes for Lakeland in game one.
- Mahsem earned her eighth win of the season in game one, throwing a complete game while striking out eight for her 100th stikeout of the year.
- Bjork registered the lone RBI for WLC as four different Warriors collected base hits.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Muskies scored twice in the second inning after a double down the left field line followed by a double steal that plated one run. One batter later, LU executed a sacrifice bunt and a throwing error by WLC plated the second run of the inning.
- LU added a run in the bottom of the third after putting runners on second and third base with just one out, then an RBI groundout to short.
- WLC answered with a run of its own in the top of the fourth inning on an RBI single from Rebecca Foster (Spring, Texas), driving in Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.) who was hit by a pitch earlier in the inning, but Lakeland maintained a 3-1 lead.
- The Warriors looked to even the contest in the top of the seventh inning after Wilson drew a walk, followed by a bunt single from Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis.), but WLC was unable to drive the runners home after a double play and fell 3-1 in game two.
- Jessie Rago (Elgin, Ill.) took the loss in game two for WLC, allowing just five hits and one earned run in 6.0 innings.
- Foster led WLC with two hits and one RBI while five other Warriors tallied hits.
FOR THE FOES
- Calie Delisi collected two hits in game one for the Muskies.
- Rikki Vela took the loss for LU in the opener, allowing four hits and two unearned runs in 7.0 innings.
- Five different Muskies collected hits in game two, while Madi Olson collected the lone RBI.
- Taylor Bush earned the victory, allowing six hits over 6.0 innings with just one run allowed. Lindsay Cudecki notched the save.
- The Warriors return home to host Edgewood Monday. The Eagles (12-14, 4-8 NACC) split two contests with Dominican Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Live stats will be available at WLCSports.com.