MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team swept the visiting Rockford Regents Tuesday after blanking the visitors 10-0 in game one then defeating RU 4-3 in the second game of the day off a walk-off single from Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) in the eighth inning. Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.) earned the win in both contests and hit a clutch two-out homerun in the bottom of the seventh inning of game two.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 10, Rockford 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Rockford 3
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-10, 3-3 NACC), Rockford (2-20, 0-8 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped out of the gates in the top of the first inning with the first seven batters reaching base, highlighted by Mahsem driving in two runs with a single up the middle and Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.) doubling, scoring Mahsem. WLC racked up six runs in the opening frame.
- Wisconsin Lutheran added four more runs in the bottom of the second inning after Bjork drove in Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill.) and Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis.) with a double to left field, followed by a triple from Ellen Davis (Greenfield, Wis.) and a single down the right field line from Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.).
- Mahsem earned the win in game one after allowing just three hits and one walk over five innings while striking out nine batters.
- Bjork paced the WLC offense, going 2-for-2 with two doubles and three RBIs, while Ericson added three RBIs of her own.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- WLC picked up right where it left off in game two with two runs in the bottom of the first inning off of a bases loaded error then a sacrifice fly from Maddie Lindemann.
- The Regents bats came alive in the top of the fourth inning when they scored three runs off of four base hits, taking a 3-2 advantage into the fourth.
- Neither team could find any momentum in the following innings until the bottom of the seventh when Mahsem launched a two-out homerun to tie the contest at 3-3 and send the game into extra innings.
- After blanking Rockford in the top of the eighth inning, the Warriors came to bat and Belongia singled up the middle, then stole second base with just one out. Ericson stepped up to the plate and ripped a single into the left-center gap that scored Belongia and gave the Warriors the victory.
- Mahsem earned her second win of the day after throwing 4.0 innings in relief, allowing just one hit and one walk while striking out four.
- Mahsem, Maddie Lindemann, and Ericson all collected RBIs while three different Warriors had multiple hits.
- It was the Warriors' sixth straight win over the Regents.
FOR THE FOES
- Sammi Russell took the loss in game one while allowing 10 runs on 12 hits in 4.0 innings. Russell went 2-for-2 at the plate to lead Rockford.
- Abigail Wellwood collected the loss in game two, allowing two earned runs over 7+ innings. Alex Storey went 2-for-5 with an RBI in the loss.
- The Warriors continue NACC play when they host MSOE (12-6, 1-3 NACC) Saturday afternoon in a 12:00 p.m. doubleheader at Neumann Family Field. Live stats will be available at WLCSports.com.