MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team bounced back from a frustrating 3-0 series-opening loss in 10 innings to UW-Stevens Point for a 6-4 win in game two on Thursday afternoon at Neumann Family Field. The win was the Warriors' second against a WIAC opponent this season.
- Scores: UW-Stevens Point 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (10 Inn.); Wisconsin Lutheran 6, UW-Stevens Point 4
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-25), UW-Stevens Point (12-24)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors and Pointers struggled to generate much offense in the opener. Stevens Point left eight runners on base through the first 6.0 innings and Wisconsin Lutheran placed just two in scoring position throughout the extra-inning game.
- UWSP finally cracked the scoring column in the 10th with three runs on five hits, via three RBI singles. WLC was retired in order in its last at-bats.
- Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) collected two of the Warriors' five hits in the game, while three others had one hit each. Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) pitched all 10.0 innings for Wisconsin Lutheran, tying a season-high with eight strikeouts. WLC fell to 1-4 in extra-inning games this season.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Paris McCullum (Kokomo, Ind./Kokomo) gave the Warriors a 1-0 lead early in the first inning of game two on a two-out RBI single that plated Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity).
- Wisconsin Lutheran busted the game open with a five-run third inning. Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) belted her second career home run after two Warriors reached base consecutively with one out for a 4-0 lead.
- After two more runners reached base, Savanah Frank (Crystal Lake, Ill./Central) followed with a RBI single and Mary Lynn Clausen (Montgomery, Ill./Kaneland) added a run-scoring groundout.
- Bjork continued to dominate in the circle, shutting out the Pointers for three more innings. Stevens Point rallied in its final at-bats in the seventh, scoring four runs on six hits. Mahsem relieved Bjork with two outs and bases loaded and got the last batter to fly out to end the game.
- Ritacco and Frank led the Warriors with three hits each, with Ritacco scoring twice and Frank adding a RBI. Bjork, who also had three RBI, pitched 6.2 innings and struck out five to win her fifth game of the season. Mahsem notced her second career save.
FOR THE FOES
- Morgan Johnson paced the Pointers with a 3-for-4 performance at the plate with one run scored. Ashley Cohen pitched a complete game, scattering five hits and striking out five.
- Paige Allen and Sydney Opdahl had two hits apiece in the nightcap for UWSP. Amelia Heup suffered the loss in the circle after allowing four earned runs in just 2.1 innings.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plays its final series of the 2017 season tomorrow afternoon against Mount Mary (14-19) at Neumann Family Field. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. The Warriors will be the visiting team for both games. WLC swept MMU in the early part of its schedule a season ago.