MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team concluded the conference season by earning its second-ever win against Aurora on Saturday afternoon at Neumann Family Field with an 11-3 victory in six innings behind a strong performance by Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) both in the circle and at the plate. The Spartans earned a split by holding on for a win in the nightcap, 7-4.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 11, Aurora 3 (6 Inn.); Aurora 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-24, 8-14 NACC), Aurora (26-14, 15-7 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Aurora put the pressure on the Warriors early, scoring two runs on three hits in the opening frame but the Spartans left the bases loaded.
- Wisconsin Lutheran responded quickly with two-out RBIs from Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) and Mahsem to tie the game at 2-2.
- The Spartans took advantage of two errors in the second to score a run and regain the lead at 3-2.
- WLC's offense exploded in the fifth, scoring six runs on five hits, highlighted by RBIs from Paris McCullum (Kokomo, Ind./Kokomo), Mahsem, Jessie Rago (Elgin, Ill./Elgin), and Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- The Warriors scored an unearned run in the fifth and two runs in the sixth with RBIs from Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill./Lisle) and Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity).
- Mahsem improved her record in the circle to 7-6, pitching a complete game with six strikeouts. She also went 4-for-4 at the plate, while McCollum, Robison, and Bjork added two hits apiece. WLC out-hit Aurora 14-7 in the opener.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Spartans jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first inning of game two, just as they did in the opener.
- AU scored a pair of runs in each the second and third innings to take a commanding 6-0 lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran got on the board in the third with an unearned run to trim the deficit to 6-1.
- Both teams settled in as neither team scored until the seventh when the Spartans plated a run on a sacrifice fly.
- The Warriors rallied in their half of the seventh as Rebecca Foster (Spring, Texas/Oak Ridge) scored on a wild pitch. Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis./Greendale) recorded a RBI on a bases loaded walk, and Ericson plated another run on a single. WLC left the bases loaded when the game ended.
- Bjork suffered the defeat in the circle for WLC, allowing seven earned runs on 12 hits in a complete game effort. Six different Warriors recorded a hit in the nightcap.
FOR THE FOES
- Britni Wilson was dealt the game one loss, allowing seven earned runs in 2.1 innings of work. Ashley Pittman was the only Spartan to record multiple hits in the opener.
- Cat Yanis earned her sixth win of the year, allowing four runs, zero earned, in 6.2 innings. Josie Bachtell and Lauren O'Daniell each went 3-for-3 for AU.
- The Warriors open their final week of the 2017 season with a non-conference series against UW-Stevens Point (11-23) at Neumann Family Field on Tuesday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. The Pointers swept the Warriors in their final games a season ago.