MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team had its home-opening doubleheader spoiled by cross-town conference opponent Alverno on Sunday afternoon, as the Inferno swept the Warriors by scores of 4-3 in eight innings and 10-4 at Neumann Family Field.
- Scores: Alverno 4, Wisconsin Lutheran 3; Alverno 10, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-13, 4-4 NACC), Alverno (9-15, 2-6 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Megan Hernandez gave the Inferno a 1-0 lead in the second with a solo home run to left field. Alverno added two more runs in the third on a throwing error on an attempted steal and RBI groundout for a 3-0 lead.
- The Warriors' Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran) evened the score at 3-3 in the third after she cleared the bases with a double.
- The game remained scoreless for the next four innings, but the Warriors had chances to break the tie as they left two runners on base in the fourth, fifth, and seventh innings.
- Alverno broke the 3-3 tie in the eighth on a two-out RBI single up the middle from Samantha Chapnick.
- The Warriors threatened to tie or take the lead in the eighth, but left two runners on base when the game ended.
- Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis./Greendale) led the Warriors with three hits, while Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) and Mary Lynn Clausen (Montgomery, Ill./Kaneland) had two each.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) suffered her second loss of the season, tossing all 8.0 innings and allowing four earned runs with seven strikeouts.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Inferno jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in the first after Megan Hernandez hit a two-out grand slam to left field.
- The Warriors got one of those runs back in their half inning after Taylor Bjork's (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) two-out double scored Robison.
- WLC cut its deficit to just a run in the third after a Mahsem RBI single and Bjork sac fly, and knotted the score at 4-4 the next inning when Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) singled home Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap).
- Alverno plated a pair of runs in the fifth on a RBI single and fielder's choice for a 6-4 lead. The visitors then broke the game open in the seventh with four runs on a RBI groundout and run-scoring single, capped by a two-run home run from Megan Hernandez, her third of the day.
- Mahsem and Akright finished with two hits each for the Warriors in game two. Kassie Guerrero (Chicago, Ill./Trinity) pitched 4.1 innings in relief and allowed just two runs, but was handed the loss. She also fanned four.
FOR THE FOES
- Carina Jimenez and Kaitlynn Johnson had two hits each for Alverno in the opener. Olivia Schneider went the distance in the circle, allowing two earned runs on 12 hits.
- Bailey Jedrzejewski went 4-for-4 with three runs and Megan Hernandez had six RBI to pace the Inferno offense in game two. Schneider allowed four earned runs in 7.0 innings to collect her second win of the day in the circle.
- The Warriors continue their eight-game homestand on Tuesday when they host UW-Stevens Point (8-16) for a 3:00 p.m. non-conference doubleheader. WLC was swept by UWSP in its final games of the 2016 season. Links to live stats and video will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.