STEVENS POINT, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team's 2016 season came to an end on Wednesday afternoon at McCarty Field with a pair of non-conference losses against UW-Stevens Point by scores of 8-0 and 3-1.
- Final Scores: UW-Stevens Point 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (6 Inn.); UW-Stevens Point 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (21-19), UW-Stevens Point (14-22)
- Location: Stevens Point, Wis., McCarty Field | Attendance: 54
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Pointers got on the board early, scoring two runs in their opening half of the first.
- UWSP broke the game open in the third, extending its lead to 6-0 after scoring four runs on four hits.
- A single tally in each of the final two innings for UW-Stevens Point brought the game to an 8-0 final in six innings.
- Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) and Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) collected the two hits for the Warriors in the game.
- Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) suffered the loss, allowing four earned runs in three innings of work.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After two scoreless innings, UWSP got on the board with two runs on three hits.
- The Warriors answered in the fourth when Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) scored on a Pointers error.
- The Pointers extended their lead with an insurance run to push the score to 3-1.
- Robison, Schellpfeffer, and Mahsem each recorded a hit in the game.
- Mahsem suffered the loss in 5.0 innings of work despite allowing only one earned run. Six errors proved costly for the Warriors.
FOR THE FOES
- The Pointers collected 11 hits in the opener, led by two from Bailie Sheahan, Dana Gertschen, Alyssa Cooper, Paige Kitzing, and Paige Allen.
- Maddie Durie improved her record to 6-11 on the season after a two-hit, complete-game shutout.
- Kirsten Perkinson had two hits to pace the UWSP offense in game two.
- Amelia Heup collected her third win of the season after allowing only one hit in 4.0 innings of work. Averi Kanyuh recorded her first save in 3.0 innings of relief.