AURORA, Ill. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team saw its hopes for a NACC Tournament appearance come to an end Sunday after being swept by regular season conference champion Aurora by scores of 7-1 and 3-2 in eight innings at Stuart Sportsplex.
- Final Scores: Aurora 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 1; Aurora 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (8 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (21-17, 10-12 NACC), Aurora (30-10, 19-3 NACC)
- Location: Stuart Sportsplex, Aurora, Ill. | Attendance: 38
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- After two scoreless innings, Aurora erupted for seven runs on seven hits in the bottom of the third.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plated a run in the fourth inning after Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard) reached on an error to score Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville).
- WLC loaded the bases in the sixth inning but could not score any runs.
- With the game one loss, the Warriors were eliminated from the NACC Tournament.
- Schellpfeffer and Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) recorded two hits each with Horton picking up the lone RBI.
- Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) took the loss after allowing nine hits and six earned runs in 2.1 innings.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The game was scoreless after three innings. Bjork got the Warriors on the board with her first home run of the season in the fourth inning that plated Mahsem to give WLC a 2-0 lead.
- The Spartans would get a run back in the bottom of the frame after Steph Starr scored on an error after stealing third base.
- AU tied the game at 2-2 in the seventh after scoring on a WLC error to send the game into extra innings.
- Amie Raynor used a fielder's choice RBI to plate the game-winning run in the eighth for the Spartans, who won the NACC regular season title for the fourth consecutive season.
- Bjork had two of WLC's four hits in the contest and recorded two RBIs.
- Mahsem received a no-decision after allowing four hits and two runs in 6.0 innings.
- Schellpfeffer was dealt the loss in an inning of work, allowing two hits and one run.
FOR THE FOES
- Aurora totaled 11 hits in game one as its entire lineup recorded at least one hit. Six different Spartans also recorded an RBI.
- Vanessa Hartzell, two-time defending NACC Pitcher of the Year, recorded her 18th win of the season after pitching a complete game while allowing six hits and one run in the opener.
- Steph Starr had three hits and a run scored in the nightcap to lead the Spartans.
- Britni Wilson recorded the complete game victory after pitching all 8.0 innings in game two. She allowed four hits and two runs.
- The Warriors will conclude their 2016 season on Tuesday at UW-Stevens Point (12-22) for a non-conference doubleheader that begins at 3:00 p.m. at McCarty Memorial Field. The Pointers were swept by UW-Stout on Sunday.