MILWAUKEE - A six-run explosion in the sixth inning of game one helped the Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team to a crucial NACC doubleheader sweep of Marian on Friday afternoon at Neumann Family Field, winning by scores of 9-8 and 8-5.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 9, Marian 8; Wisconsin Lutheran 8, Marian 5
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (21-15, 10-10 NACC), Marian (20-18, 9-11 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 71
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Sabres came out swinging as they scored two runs in the opening frame on four hits.
- WLC answered in the bottom of the first when Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) singled to plate Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- Marian added an insurance run in the third on an RBI from Tiffani Castillo.
- The Warriors knotted the score at 3-3 when Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard) singled for two RBIs, plating Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap) and Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee).
- Marian answered by capitalizing on three WLC errors, scoring four runs to take a 7-3 lead.
- WLC rallied in the sixth, scoring six runs on six hits for a 9-7 lead. Mahsem cleared the bases with a three-RBI double as Schellpfeffer, Akright, and Robison crossed the plate. Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) then tripled to score Mahsem. Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran) completed the big inning with an RBI double.
- Marian threatened in the final inning but the tying run was stranded at second base.
- Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) picked up the win in 2.1 innings of relief of allowing no hits.
- Schellpfeffer picked up her fourth save of the season.
- The offense pounded out 14 hits, led by three each from Bjork and Akright.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Game two started off with a two-run opening inning for the Sabres once again.
- An RBI single from Bjork in the bottom of the first cut the lead to 2-1.
- The Warriors took the lead in the third with a three-run inning. Schellpfeffer singled to tie the game up when Robison crossed the plate. WLC took the lead on an RBI from Yniguez to score Mahsem and Schellpfeffer scored on the throw.
- Another RBI from Schellpfeffer in the fourth gave the Warriors a 5-2 lead.
- Marian tied the game in the fifth with a two-out, three-run home run.
- In the sixth, Wisconsin Lutheran took the lead on an RBI bunt from Horton. Yniguez doubled to centerfield to score Bjork and Horton.
- Bjork improved her record to 1-1 in the circle, throwing 1.1 innings in relief of no-hit ball.
- Schellpfeffer collected her second save of the day and fifth of the season.
- Schellpfeffer had three hits and two RBIs, while Yniguez had three RBIs for the Warriors.
FOR THE FOES
- MU had 13 hits in the opener, led by three from Sara Terrian.
- Emily Gorges suffered the loss in a complete-game 14-hit performance.
- Gorges had three RBIs for MU in game two, pacing an offense that collected five hits.
- Shannon Huray took the loss, allowing eight runs in 5.2 innings.
- The Warriors finish their NACC schedule on Sunday at Aurora (28-10, 17-3 NACC) for a doubleheader that begins at 1:00 p.m. The Warriors are currently in seventh, a game behind the sixth spot. Links to stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.