MILWAUKEE - Led behind strong pitching and offense throughout, the Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team swept a non-conference doubleheader on a chilly Thursday afternoon against Maranatha, taking the first game 13-0 in 5 innings and the second game 9-1 in 5 innings at Neumann Family Field.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 13, Maranatha 0 (5 inn.); Wisconsin Lutheran 9, Maranatha 1 (5 inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (19-15), Maranatha (4-20)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 36
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- In the opener, the Warriors attacked early as they cracked open the scoring. Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) recorded an RBI on an error for MBU, plating Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) gave WLC a 2-0 lead on a sac fly as Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard) crossed the plate.
- WLC capitalized on free bases as it broke the game open in the second, scoring nine runs on four hits.
- After three straight walks, Robison scored on a passed ball, Bjork collected two more RBIs on a single up the middle to plate Schellpfeffer and Horton. Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) got an RBI on a bases loaded walk and Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis./Cumberland) cleared the bases with her three-RBI double in the gap, scoring Bjork, Arns, and Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap).
- Horton and Schellpfeffer both collected an RBI in the inning on base hits.
- WLC tacked on a couple more runs in the third when April Peters (Cadott, Wis./McDonell Central) scored on an error.
- Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis./Ashwaubenon) reached safely on a fielder's choice, and Sam Humphreys (Jackson, Ohio/Jackson) crossed the plate.
- Arns collected her third win of the season, not allowing a hit in 3.0 innings.
- Taylor Emrath (Johnson Creek, Wis./Johnson Creek) pitched 2.0 innings of scoreless relief.
- The offense was led by two hits apiece from Horton and Humphreys. Bjork collected three RBIs.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After two scoreless innings, WLC got on the board first when Humphreys crossed the plate on a bunt from Robison to give the Warriors a 1-0 lead.
- MBU answered in the next frame, tying the score at 1-1.
- The Warriors took the lead in the fourth for good, scoring three runs on three hits.
- Akright doubled to right field to plate Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) and Humphreys tallied two RBIs on a single to center field scoring Bjork and Mahsem.
- In the fifth, WLC scored five runs to end the game. Mahsem and Bjork collected RBIs in back-to-back at-bats, Schellpfeffer scored on a passed ball, and Libby Larsen (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) singled through the right side to score Bjork and Mahsem to end the game.
- Mahsem improved her record to 7-6 in the circle, throwing 5.0 innings and allowing one run on three hits.
- Nine Warriors collected hits, led by two from Humphreys. Humphreys and Larsen had two RBIs each.
FOR THE FOES
- Holli Goeman collected the only hit for MBU in game one.
- Maisy Alldredge suffered the loss, pitching 4.0 innings and allowing 12 runs.
- Tina Kolinski had two hits for MBU in game two, and Megan Rasmussen added another hit.
- Brooke Campbell took the loss in game two, allowing nine runs in 4.1 innings.
- The Warriors, who are still alive for the race to the NACC Tournament, return to NACC action on Friday afternoon when they play host to Marian (20-16, 9-9 NACC) for a doubleheader with first pitch scheduled for 3:00 p.m. The Sabres are coming off a pair of losses to UW-Oshkosh on Tuesday afternoon.