RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team earned a much-needed split against Concordia Chicago to stay alive in the race for the sixth seed in the NACC Tournament. Taylor Bjork's (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) strong performance in the circle led the Warriors to a 2-0 win in game one before falling in game two 4-1 Sunday at CUC Softball Field.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 2, Concordia Chicago 0; Concordia Chicago 4, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (17-15, 8-10 NACC), Concordia Chicago (22-11, 10-8 NACC)
- Location: CUC Softball Field, River Forest, Ill. | Attendance: 103
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors got off to a quick start, scoring a run on Libby Schellpfeffer's (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) RBI single to right in the first inning that scored Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- Wisconsin Lutheran tacked on an insurance run in the sixth when Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) doubled to left center to score Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis./Ashwaubenon). It would be all the run support WLC needed as Bjork shut the door en route to a 2-0 victory.
- Bjork only allowed two hits in the contest to pick up her second victory of the season. She pitched a complete game shutout while allowing only three baserunners.
- Schellpfeffer led the Warriors at the plate with three hits and an RBI. Robison and Arns had two hits each.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Concordia Chicago started off strong in the nightcap, scoring two runs in the first off Meghan Johnson's two-run home run and two more in the second on Melissa Balkema's two-RBI single to jump out to a 4-0 lead.
- WLC cut into the deficit in the fifth following Schellpfeffer's fielder's choice RBI that plated Robison but the visitors could not muster any more runs. Wisconsin Lutheran had a runner on in the seventh but CUC nailed down a 4-1 game two victory.
- Five different Warriors collected a hit in the nightcap and Schellpfeffer recorded the lone RBI.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) took the loss for WLC after allowing five hits and four runs in 1.2 innings.
FOR THE FOES
- Stefanie D'Anna and Michelle Alexander recorded the only two hits in game one for the Cougars.
- Johnson was dealt the loss after pitching 7.0 innings allowing 10 hits and one earned run.
- Seven different Cougars had a hit in game two. Balkema and Johnson recorded two RBIs apiece for CUC.
- Marita Van Dyke earned her fifth win of the season after tossing four shutout innings while allowing three hits. Alicia Salata came in for the final three innings, earning the save while allowing only one run.
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts Maranatha (4-14) Thursday in non-conference action at Neumann Family Field. The doubleheader is scheduled for a 3:00 p.m. start. The Sabercats dropped a pair of games to Mount Mary Saturday.