MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team put an end to its five-game losing streak with a doubleheader sweep over NACC opponent Rockford on Wednesday afternoon at Neumann Family Field. The Warriors won the opener, 6-2, before taking the nightcap, 7-1.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 6, Rockford 2; Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Rockford 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (16-12, 7-7 NACC), Rockford (2-28, 0-14 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 36
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The opener remained scoreless until the Warriors' half of the third inning when they plated three runs on four hits. Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) smacked a two-RBI double and Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap) followed with a single up the middle plating Bjork for the 3-0 lead.
- Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis./Cumberland) launched her second home run of the season in the fourth and Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) scored on an error for a 5-0 WLC lead.
- After the Regents stranded the bases loaded in the fifth, the Warriors scored their final run in their half of the frame when Akright crossed home on a passed ball.
- Rockford rallied late with two runs and four of their six hits for the game in the seventh inning alone. Bjork came on in relief of Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) to get the final two outs and save the game for WLC. Arns won her fourth game of the season after allowing two runs on six hits and striking out four.
- Akright and Arns had three hits each in the game, while Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) added two hits and Bjork had two RBIs.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Rockford grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the second inning of the nightcap, but the Warriors responded with three runs in the third coming via a two-run triple from Schellpfeffer and an RBI groundout from Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee).
- Following two scoreless innings, the Warriors tallied their remaining four runs in the sixth off run-scoring hits from Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran), Johnson, and Robison.
- Robison, Schellpfeffer, Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis./Ashwaubenon), and Johnson collected two hits each for the Warriors in the nightcap, with Schellpfeffer and Johnson driving in two runs apiece.
- Mahsem moved to 6-4 on the season after allowing just one run on five hits and fanning three.
FOR THE FOES
- Six players had one hit each for the Regents in game one. Stefaney Kenworthy suffered the loss after giving up six runs (four earned) on 12 hits.
- Five different players tallied a hit each in the nightcap for Rockford. Brittany Bura surrendered seven earned runs on 11 hits to take the loss. She struckout one and walked three.
- The Warriors, who are tied with two other teams for sixth place in the NACC standings, travel to UW-Stevens Point (8-17) on Friday for a 3:00 p.m. non-conference doubleheader. The Pointers split a twinibll with UW-River Falls on Sunday.