MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team was swept for the first time in NACC play this season, falling to Benedictine 8-0 in six innings in game one and 8-0 in five innings in game two Saturday afternoon at Neumann Family Field.
- Final Scores: Benedictine 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (6 Inn.); Benedictine 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (5 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-10, 5-5 NACC), Benedictine (19-9, 7-3 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 79
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Eagles shortstop Shannon Fritsche hit a leadoff home run to left field in a two-run first inning for BenU. Benedictine scored five runs in the fifth on its way to an 8-0 game one victory in six innings.
- Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard) collected two of WLC's five hits in the opener.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee Wis./South Milwaukee) took the loss for the Warriors, tossing 5.2 innings allowing 14 hits and six earned runs.
- Holly Haberkorn hit a two-out grand slam to left field in the first inning and the Eagles scored three runs in the second to take a commanding 7-0 lead. BenU plated a run in the fifth to blank the Warriors 8-0 in five innings.
- Horton, Mahsem, Sam Humphreys (Jackson, Ohio/Jackson), and Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis./Cumberland) all had a hit in the contest for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) was dealt the loss in 5.0 innings pitched as she allowed eight runs on 11 hits.
FOR THE FOES
- Melissa Stoch led the way for the Eagles in game one, collecting three hits, a run, and an RBI. Four other BenU batters collected two hits apiece.
- Haberkorn earned her ninth win of the season, pitching a complete-game, five-hit shutout.
- Eight Benedictine hitters had a hit in game two led by Haberkorn's two hits, one run, and four RBIs.
- Melissa Guzior pitched a complete-game, four-hit shutout in the night cap.
- The Warriors resume NACC play on Sunday afternoon when they travel to Sheboygan to take on Lakeland (12-12, 4-6 NACC) in a doubleheader with first pitch scheduled for Noon. The Muskies are coming off a sweep of Alverno on Saturday afternoon, winning 5-1 (8 Inn.) and 7-2.