MEQUON, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team earned its third straight split on Wednesday afternoon against Concordia Wisconsin, taking the first game 5-4 before dropping the nightcap 12-8 at CUW Softball Field.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Concordia Wisconsin 4; Concordia Wisconsin 12, Wisconsin Lutheran 8
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-7, 4-2 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (11-9, 3-1 NACC)
- Location: CUW Softball Field, Mequon, Wis. | Attendance: 77
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Pitching controlled the game early, as the score remained tied at 0-0 through the first three innings.
- The Falcons got the scoring started in the bottom of the fourth when they capitalized on a Warriors' error to take the lead.
- The Falcons added another the next inning when Kendra Little hit a solo home run to left.
- The Warriors answered in the sixth, scoring four runs to take the 4-2 lead.
- Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) had an RBI single scoring Brea Johnson (Cumberland, Wis./Cumberland). Robison scored later in the inning on a Libby Schellpfeffer (Mayville, Wis./Mayville) fielder's choice.
- WLC took the lead off an error by the Falcons' shortstop, which plated Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis./Ashwaubenon) and Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shepard).
- The Warriors added a critical insurance run in the seventh when Johnson cleared the left field fence for her first homer of the season.
- After CUW scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh, Schellpfeffer closed the door to seal the victory.
- Schellpfeffer improved her record to 4-2 after 2.1 innings in relief and allowing two runs.
- Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) had a strong outing, pitching 4.2 innings and only allowing one earned run.
- Johnson collected two hits in the game, while Robison added the other for the Warriors.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- WLC put up the first run on an RBI single from Johnson, but eight runs on nine hits in the bottom half gave the Falcons an 8-1 lead after two.
- The Warriors answered and started to chip away when Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) hit a three-run home run in the third, plating Horton and Robison.
- WLC never got within a three-run deficit the rest of the way.
- Mahsem suffered her first loss of the season, moving to 5-1, allowing eight runs in 2.2 innings.
- Mahsem led the offense with three hits, while five other Warriors added a hit.
FOR THE FOES
- Little led the Falcons in game one with three hits, while Maddie Zazas, Delaney O'Keefe, and Lexi Holsten added two apiece.
- Melissa Perkins suffered the loss despite a strong outing, only allowing three hits and one earned run in a complete-game effort.
- CUW pounded out 16 hits in game two, led by Zazas' four with four other Falcons adding two.
- Little picked up her first victory in the circle, allowing one run on four hits in 3.0 innings of relief.
- The Warriors return to NACC action on Friday afternoon when they travel to Alverno (9-15, 2-6 NACC) for a doubleheader with first pitch scheduled for 3:00 p.m. The Inferno are coming off a split against MSOE on Wednesday afternoon. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.