MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team battled for a split on Monday against non-conference opponent Carthage, dropping the first game 12-0 in 5.0 innings, but rebounded back to take the second game 7-6 at Neumann Family Field.
- Final Scores: Carthage 12, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (5 Inn.); Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Carthage 6
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-6), Carthage (7-9)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 57
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors struggled to get the bats rolling in game one. Sydney Horton (Crestwood, Ill./Alan B. Shephard) and Abby Akright (Dunlap, Ill./Dunlap) recorded the only two hits for the Warriors in the opener.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) did make two appearances on the bases, the most of any Warrior, but was left stranded both times.
- The Lady Reds plated four runs in the first and scored runs in four of the five innings on their way to the 12-0 five-inning win in the opener.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The tables turned in the Warriors' favor in game two as they scored five of their seven runs in the bottom of the first.
- Wisconsin Lutheran loaded the bases with one out. Cassie Arns (McHenry, Ill./West) singled to left center as Horton and Rebecca Yniguez (Wildomar, Calif./California Lutheran) crossed home plate.
- In the next at-bat, Akright broke for home from third after an misplay from the second baseman on a steal attempt.
- Later in the inning, Alissa Puder (Sturtevant, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) tripled to right field as Arns scored.
- Mackenzie Francour (Marinette, Wis./Marinette) then plated Puder for the fifth run of the frame.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Francour homered to center field to increase the Warriors lead to 6-4.
- Akright broke a 6-6 tie in the fifth with another solo shot to center for a 7-6 Warriors lead.
- Mahsem came on in relief of Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) and pitched 3.0 scoreless innings to pick up her fifth win of the season.
- Francour went 3-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored. She was just a single shy of the cycle.
FOR THE FOES
- The Lady Reds pounded out 13 hits in the opener as Darien Pelsor and Kristine Herdegen had two hits each. Pelsor and Hailey Rothstein also tallied three RBIs apiece.
- Katie Herron earned the win allowing just two hits and striking out eight.
- In the nightcap, Rothstein remained hot, batting 3-for-4 and recording an RBI and Vivian Juarez went 2-for-3 with two RBIs.
- Pelsor surrendered seven runs on eight hits to take the loss in the circle.
- The Warriors next travel to Concordia Wisconsin (10-8, 2-0 NACC) for a NACC doubleheader on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. in Mequon. Live audio and stats will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.