FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team completed its second sweep in as many days Saturday afternoon over NACC opponent Marian. The Warriors won a hard-fought 1-0 first game in eight innings, and finished the sweep with a 8-6 victory in game two.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Marian 0 (8 Inn.); Wisconsin Lutheran 8, Marian 6
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-19, 4-12 NACC), Marian (9-23, 3-13 NACC)
- Location: Smith Fields, Fond du Lac, Wis. | Attendance: 67
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors and Sabres needed extra frames to decide the opener as neither team plated a run through the first 7.0 innings.
- WLC scored the only run of the game in the eighth inning when Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Wis./Rockridge), who led off the inning with a double, scored from third on Brittany Koss' (Lake in the HIlls, Ill./Huntley) two-out error.
- Warriors starting pitcher Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) scattered just five hits on 28 batters faced.
- It was WLC's third extra-inning game of the week.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors got off to a faster start in game two with Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) scoring a run in the first.
- Marian answered with three runs of its own in the bottom of the first on a solo homerun and RBI double.
- Emily Held (Burlington, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran), Niki Cottini (Plainfield, Ill./North), and Gacgacao each scored a run in the second to take back the lead for the Warriors and bring the score to 4-3.
- Marian regained the lead once again in the bottom of the second with a two-RBI single.
- WLC scored two more runs in the third off of RBIs from Koss and Schmidt.
- Alicia Barbian (Waterford, Wis./Waterford) finished the scoring for the Warriors in the fourth with a two-run double.
- Marian scored one more run in the seventh and stranded the tying run on base when WLC recorded the game's final out.
- Robison, Barbian, and Cottini led the Warriors with two hits each in the first game.
- Schmidt picked up the game one win for WLC with 8.0 innings pitched and only three hits allowed.
- Emily Gorges took the loss for Marian pitching the complete game, allowing eight hits and one run with nine strikeouts.
- Barbian paced the Warriors with two RBIs again in game two.
- Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North), Gacgacao, Koss, and Schmidt also added RBIs.
- Schmidt also earned the win in game two for the Warriors to move to 8-12 on the season.
- Tana Vanden Heuval headlined the lineup for Marian in game two with two hits, two RBIs, and a homerun.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plays its first true home doubleheader tomorrow against Aurora (25-5, 16-0 NACC) at the newly-renovated Neumann Family Field. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m.