KENOSHA, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team scored all six of its runs with two outs for a 6-4 game one non-conference win over Carthage Thursday, before falling by the same 6-4 result to the Lady Reds in game two.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 6, Carthage 4; Carthage 6, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-19), Carthage (10-18)
- Location: Carthage Field, Kenosha, Wis. | Attendance: 50
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors struck first when Alicia Barbian (Waterford, Wis./Waterford) doubled home Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) with two outs in the first inning for a 1-0 lead. Gacgacao led off the game with a double of her own.
- Barbian gave WLC a 4-0 lead in the third when she belted a two-out, three-run homerun to left, her third of the season, that brought around Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North) and Niki Cottini (Plainfield, Ill./North).
- Carthage scored its first run in the third on a sacrifice fly to left by Sam Phelps.
- Emily Held (Burlington, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) pushed the Warriors' lead to 6-1 in the fifth with another two-out, two-run single that plated Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) and Degl'Innocenti.
- The Lady Reds tallied two runs in the fifth on an RBI single from Phelps and a second from a double-play groundout.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran surged ahead to a 4-1 lead after two innings of the nightcap with RBI singles from Robison, Barbian, Gacgacao, and Degl'Innocenti.
- Carthage took its first lead of the day with a four-run inning in the third. After scoring a run off a wild pitch, the Lady Reds scored three runs off a Makenzie Walker single and error by the Warriors.
- WLC put a runner in scoring position in both the fourth and sixth innings, but was unable to plate another run.
- Carthage added an insurance run in the sixth on an RBI double to make the final score read 6-4.
- Barbian and Gacgacao each went 2-for-4 with a run scored with Barbian driving in four runs in the opener. Held accounted for the Warriors' remaining two RBIs. Four other players had one hit each for WLC.
- Libby Larsen (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) moved to 4-6 on the season after she allowed just one run in 4.0 innings. Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) tossed 3.0 innings to earn her first save.
- Darian Pelsor paced Carthage at the plate with her 3-for-4 performance.
- Makenzie Walker gave up six runs on eight hits in 7.0 innings to suffer the loss in the circle.
- Degl'Innocenti went 2-for-3 with an RBI and run scored in the nightcap. Seven other Warriors had one hit apiece.
- Larsen suffered the game two setback in the circle after allowing six runs (five earned) on 10 hits in 6.0 innings. She struckout four and walked a pair.
- Olivia Scott was 3-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs scored for Carthage. She was a triple shy of the cycle.
- Jessica Kirby was the winner in 7.0 innings pitched. She scattered nine hits and fanned four while walking one.
- Wisconsin Lutheran continues its busy 12-game week tomorrow with a 3 p.m. non-conference doubleheader against Maranatha (1-18) at Brandt-Quirk Park in Watertown.