MEQUON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team snapped its 10-game losing streak with a 5-2 victory over Concordia Wisconsin in game one, before its comeback attempt in game two fell short as the Falcons prevailed 9-6 in nine innings Tuesday at CUW Softball Field.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Concordia Wisconsin 2; Concordia Wisconsin 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 6 (9 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-18, 2-12 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (20-10, 11-3 NACC)
- Location: CUW Softball Field, Mequon, Wis. | Attendance: 42
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the fourth when Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) singled to score Tara Degl'lnnocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North).
- The very next at-bat, Emily Held (Burlington, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) homered to right center to put the Warriors ahead 3-0.
- Carly Sobrilsky homered to left center to get a run back for the Falcons.
- Wisconsin Lutheran added two insurance runs in the sixth on Sadie Schmidt's (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) two-RBI single that scored Robison and Alissa Puder (Sturtevant, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran).
- Concordia Wisconsin threatened in the bottom of the seventh and scored a run on a groundout before a fly out to center sealed the 5-2 victory for the Warriors.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons struck first, adding two runs in the second and a run in the third to open up a 3-0 advantage.
- The Warriors scored two runs in the fourth off of a fielding error that scored Puder and Brittany Koss (Lake in the Hills, Ill./Huntley).
- Sobrilsky singled to center for two RBIs in the fifth and added another RBI single in the seventh to put CUW ahead 6-2.
- WLC started its comeback attempt in the bottom of the seventh as it scored four runs on three hits to tie the game at 6-6. The Warriors were led by Robison's two-RBI double and Koss's RBI single.
- Wisconsin Lutheran loaded the bases in the eighth with one out but couldn't bring a runner home.
- Andrea Thiry broke the deadlock in the ninth with a three-RBI double to left center to put CUW ahead for good.
- Robison (2-for-2) and Held (2-for-3) each had two hits in the opener to lead WLC. Held and Schmidt also added two RBIs.
- Schmidt picked up her fourth win of the season after tossing 7.0 innings and allowing six hits and two earned runs.
- Sobrilsky led Concordia Wisconsin, going 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Melissa Perkins suffered the loss after giving up five earned runs over 6.0 innings and striking out six.
- Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young), Robison, and Koss had three hits apiece in the nightcap. Robison also contributed two RBI.
- Schmidt suffered the loss in 4.1 innings of relief work, allowing four earned runs on seven hits.
- Perkins notched the win in relief for the Falcons in 2.2 innings pitched as she allowed three hits and one earned run.
- Thiry, who notched the game-winning hit, was 4-for-5 with three RBIs and a run scored.
- Wisconsin Lutheran will be back in action Thursday for a 3 p.m. non-conference doubleheader at Carthage (9-17) in Kenosha. Live stats will be available for both games at wlcsports.com.