FRANKLIN, Wis. - After falling 12-0 in five innings in the first game of its doubleheader Monday afternoon against Lakeland, the Warriors appeared as if they were going to win in come-from-behind fashion in their last at-bat, but the Muskies had other ideas and rallied for four runs in the eighth inning to defeat Wisconsin Lutheran College 10-6 at The Rock Sports Complex.
- Final Scores: Lakeland 12, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (5 Inn.); Lakeland 10, Wisconsin Lutheran 6 (8 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-17, 1-11 NACC), Lakeland (12-18, 5-9 NACC)
- Location: The Rock Sports Complex, Franklin, Wis. | Attendance: 43
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran struggled defensively in the opener, committing at least one error in the first four innings.
- Lakeland put together three straight four-run innings in the second, third, and fourth to account for all of their scoring. LC had 12 of their 14 hits between the three frames. However, just three of those runs were earned as WLC was plagued by eight errors in the game that ended after 5.0 innings.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Muskies took a quick 1-0 lead in the first off a solo homerun from Angela Tribuzio. The Warriors knotted the score in the bottom of the first on a RBI from Brittany Koss (Lake in the Hills, Ill./Huntley) that allowed Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) to cross home from third.
- Lakeland plated its second run of the game in the second off a throwing error. WLC grabbed its first lead of the day in the third when Alicia Barbian (Waterford, Wis./Waterford) cleared the bases with a deep three-RBI single left center.
- The game remained scoreless for two straight innings before LC scored three times in the sixth off three hits for a 5-4 lead. LC went ahead 6-4 in the seventh when Mikayla Hilton went deep over the left center field fence for her teams' second homerun of the day.
- Wisconsin Lutheran loaded the bases with nobody out in its half of the seventh and tied the score at 6-6 off a fielder's choice and sacrifice fly. The Warriors still had the bases loaded with just one out, but Lakeland forced WLC's final two hitters in the inning to retire without driving in a run.
- The Muskies' momentum carried over into the eighth as they erupted for four runs on five hits, including a two-RBI double from Tribuzio.
- Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North) had two of the Warriors' four hits in the opener as she went 2-for-2 at the dish.
- Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) suffered the loss despite not allowing an earned run in 2.1 innings of work.
- Lakeland's Sami Jo Williams went 3-for-4 with four RBIs and a run scored to lead her team in game one.
- Savannah Stenlund pitched all 5.0 innings for the Muskies and allowed only four hits while striking out six.
- Koss and Barbian each had two hits in the extra-inning setback for WLC. Koss also scored twice and Barbian drove in three. Four other players had one hit each as the Warriors totaled eight for the game.
- Libby Larsen (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) allowed six runs (five earned) over 2.0 innings and has handed the loss.
- Ashley Hough, Hilton, and Jessica Beaudry tallied three hits each for the Muskies, who finished with 17 for the game.
- Stenlund came on in relief for the final 2.0 innings and picked up the win.
- The losses snapped WLC's four-game winning streak over LC.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Mequon tomorrow to take on rival Concordia Wisconsin (19-9, 10-2 NACC) in a conference doubleheader starting at 3 p.m. The Warriors will be the home team for both contests.