MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team split its conference-opening doubleheader with the Milwaukee School of Engineering Raiders Saturday afternoon at MSOE Athletic Field, falling 11-3 in game one before rallying back from a seven-run deficit for a 13-9 game two victory.
- Final Scores: MSOE 11, Wisconsin Lutheran 3 (6 Inn.); Wisconsin Lutheran 13, MSOE 9
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-7, 1-1 NACC), MSOE (6-8, 1-1 NACC)
- Location: MSOE Athletic Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 34
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors took an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first when Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) singled home Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North) and Brittany Koss (Lake in the Hills, Ill./Huntley).
- WLC added a single tally in the fourth when Emily Held (Burlington, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) singled home Robison for a 3-0 lead.
- The Raiders responded with five runs in the fourth on six hits, including three straight run-scoring hits with two outs.
- Following a scoreless fifth, MSOE added a six spot in the sixth and the game ended with an 11-3 final via an eight-run rule.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran found itself with an 8-1 deficit through 4.0 innings in the second game.
- The Warriors' bats came alive in the fifth when they plated five runs on five hits. The inning was highlighted by a two-run single from Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young). Held also scored on Koss' groundout and Gacgacao and Degl'Innocenti came around to score on wild pitches.
- The Raiders added their final run in the bottom of the inning as they led WLC 9-6 at the end of the fifth.
- The Forest Green and White put together its biggest inning of the season so far with seven run on five hits for a 13-9 lead.
- Alicia Barbian (Waterford, Wis./Waterford) and Held each had two-RBI hits in the inning, Gacgacao and Degl'Innocenti scored on back-to-back bases loaded walks, and Barbian crossed home on a wild pitch.
- MSOE loaded the bases in the seventh, but Wisconsin Lutheran escaped the jam with no damage done to salvage a conference-opening split.
- The Warriors were held to just five hits in the opener, with Robison leading the way with a 2-for-2 performance.
- Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) was dealt the loss after allowing five runs on 10 hits.
- Gabbi Garcia went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and Katie Ready's three RBI led four other players with multiple RBI games for MSOE.
- Shannon Curtis picked up the win in the circle after tossing 6.0 innings and allowing one earned run and striking out six.
- Gacgacao (2-for-4), Barbian (3-for-4), and Held (2-for-3) combined for eight RBIs in game two. Gacgacao also led the way with three runs scored.
- Anna Kuske (Orange Park, Fla./Luther Preparatory) singled and drew four walks to reach base in all five of her plate appearances.
- Libby Larsen (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) earned the win in relief of Schmidt after tossing the final 2.2 innings of scoreless softball.
- Shannon Curtis suffered the loss for the Raiders after allowing 11 runs and nine walks.
- Ready went 3-for-3 with two runs scored in the game to lead the Raiders offense. Three other players had two RBI each.
- Wisconsin Lutheran is right back in action tomorrow for a 12 p.m. NACC doubleheader at Alverno (8-6, 0-2 NACC). The Warriors will be the home team for both games. Links to live stats and video will be available at wlcsports.com.