FRANKLIN, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team swept non-conference opponent Mount Mary Thursday at The Rock Sports Complex, securing a 7-5 game one victory and a 10-2 game two triumph in six innings.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Mount Mary 5; Wisconsin Lutheran 10, Mount Mary 2 (6 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-6), Mount Mary (2-14)
- Location: The Rock Sports Complex, Franklin, Wis. | Attendance: 25
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped on the board early, scoring two runs on a fielder's choice by Alicia Barbian (Waterford, Wis./Waterford) and a double by Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- In the second, Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North) tripled to right to score three runs to open up a 5-0 advantage.
- Mount Mary earned a run back in the bottom of the frame on a failed pick-off attempt.
- Wisconsin Lutheran scored two insurance runs in the fourth and fifth on a pair of sacrifices by Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) and Robison.
- The Blue Angels attempted a comeback in the bottom of the fifth, scoring four runs on four hits before the Warriors got out of a bases loaded jam.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Mount Mary had runners on first and third with two outs, but Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) forced Michelle Argenzio to fly out to left to preserve the 7-5 victory.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- WLC got off to another fast start, using a Degl'Innocenti single and a Robison triple to pull ahead 2-0.
- Gacgacao used a sacrifice and Barbian scored on an error to score two more Warriors runs in the third.
- Mount Mary scored one of its two runs in the bottom of the inning with a Katie Edwards single to left center.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plated another pair of runs in the fourth as Niki Cottini (Plainfield, Ill./North) grounded out to second and Gacgacao singled up the middle to give the Warriors a 6-1 advantage.
- The Warriors pushed across four more runs, highlighted by Gacgacao's inside the park home run.
- Stefanie Voight (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) tripled and Cottini scored on an error as WLC won game two in six innings, 10-2.
- Koss, Robison, and Cottini each had two hits in the opener for the Warriors.
- Degl'Innocenti drove in three runs as Koss, Cottini, and Barbian scored two runs apiece.
- Schmidt scattered 10 hits over 7.0 innings while striking out nine and walking three to collect the win.
- Payton Hintz was 3-for-4 with a run scored for the Blue Angels.
- Ashley Contreras suffered the loss after giving up six earned runs over 7.0 innings.
- Gacgacao went 3-for-3 in game two with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Four different Warriors collected two hits in the contest.
- Libby Larson (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) picked up the win in 6.0 innings, allowing seven hits and striking out five.
- Nikki Festge took the loss for Mount Mary, giving up eight earned runs in 6.0 innings of work.
- The Warriors are scheduled to open conference play Saturday when they travel to cross-town rival MSOE (5-7, 0-0 NACC) for a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m.