FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team scored 16 runs to on its way to run-ruling 15th-ranked Montclair St. (N.J.), before defeating Elms (Mass.) Tuesday at the Lee County Sports Complex. The Warriors evened their overall record at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic with four games remaining.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 16, No. 15 Montclair St. 3 (5 Inn.), Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Elms 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-3), Montclair St. (2-1), Elms (1-5)
- Location: Lee County Sports Complex, Fort Myers, Fla.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- After falling behind 2-0 through one-half inning, the Warriors erupted for eight runs on nine hits in the first. Brittany Koss (Lake in the Hills, Ill./Huntley) and Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North) each had two hits in the inning, while Degl'Innocenti drove in three runs.
- WLC's bats remained on fire as it added seven more run to its total in the second inning off seven hits. Koss contributed another two-run double during the seven-run frame.
- Wisconsin Lutheran's final tally came in the third when Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) singled home Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper).
- The Red Hawks added one run in the third, but were held scoreless the rest of the way as the Warriors upset the 15th-ranked team in NCAA Division III in 5.0 innings.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- WLC again found itself trailing 2-0 in the first inning in its second game versus Elms.
- The Forest Green and White knotted the score at 2-2 in the third after scoring runs on a fielder's choice and wild pitch.
- The Warriors went up for good in the fourth, scoring three runs on an error, a sacrifice fly from Degl'Innocenti, and a RBI single by Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge).
- Libby Larsen (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) (1.0 IP) and Schmidt (3.0 IP) shut down the Blazers' offense over the final four innings.
- Koss, Degl'Innocenti, Schmidt, and Robison each had three hits in the opener for the Warriors. Gacgacao, Koss, and Degl'Innocenti also drove in three runs each, and Schmidt crossed home plate three times.
- Schmidt scattered 11 hits over 5.0 innings while striking out two and walking none to collect the win.
- Wisconsin Lutheran pounded out 19 hits, while Montclair St. totaled 11.
- Three players tallied two hits apiece for the Red Hawks.
- Brooke Powers lasted just 1.1 innings in the circle for the Red Hawks as she allowed 14 runs on 14 hits.
- Robison went 2-for-3 with two runs scored in the second game of the day. Koss and Anna Kuske (Orange Park, Fla./Luther Preparatory) also had two hits apiece.
- Larsen earned the win in the circle as she worked 4.0 innings and gave up two runs off four hits.
- The Blazers were limited to just five hits as no player on the roster had more than one hit in the contest.
- "The team responded well today after the tough losses yesterday. We put together two complete games today. I'm proud how the players have handled the first few days of competition." – Head Coach Bill Curtis
- The Warriors will enjoy an off day tomorrow before returning to Cape Coral Thursday for games against Olivet (Mich.) and Eastern Nazarene (Mass.). The contests against the Comets (5-3) and Lions (1-4) begin at 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. CST, respectively.