CAPE CORAL, Fla. – Sadie Schmidt (Kenosha, Wis./Tremper) tossed a four-hit shutout in her collegiate debut Sunday as the Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team opened its 2015 season with a split. The Warriors won their opener over Wilmington (Ohio) 2-0, before falling in six innings to Saint Joseph's (Maine), 13-4.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 2, Wilmington 0; Saint Joseph's 13, Wisconsin Lutheran 4 (6 Inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-1), Wilmington (0-1), Saint Joseph's (2-0)
- Location: Cape Coral Sports Complex, Cape Coral, Fla.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The game's only runs were accounted for in the second inning when the Warriors' Alissa Puder (Sturtevant, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) smacked a two-run double to right that plated Schmidt and Emily Held (Burlington, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran).
- Schmidt didn't allow a Wilmington runner to reach safely until the fourth when she allowed a walk and single.
- The Quakers threatened in the seventh, but stranded runners on first and second when the final out was recorded.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Monks plated eight runs right away in their top half of the first inning, including seven runs after two outs. St. Joe's had eight hits and drew three walks in the frame.
- The visitors scored three more times in the third on four hits.
- The Warriors reached the run column in the third after an RBI double from Tara Degl'Innocenti (Lisle, Ill./Naperville North) and back-to-back run-scoring singles from Dayan Gacgacao (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) and Brittany Koss (Lake in the Hills, Ill./Huntley).
- WLC's fourth run came in the fifth inning when Koss' groundout plated Degl'Innocenti.
- St. Joseph's final two tallies came in the sixth when Katherine Collette singled home a pair of runners.
- Schmidt fanned four and walked just two to pick up her first career win in the circle.
- Gacgacao went 2-for-3 in the opener and Puder drove in both runs to lead WLC at the plate.
- Schmidt's counterpart, Beth Persicano, struck out 10 without walking a batter for the Quakers.
- Four players had one hit each for the Warriors in the contest with the Monks. Degl'Innocenti scored twice to lead WLC.
- Kim Jordan and Melissa Mayhew each went 4-for-5 with two RBI to lead Saint Joseph's, which pounded out 18 hits.
- Monks' hurler Erica Boulanger gave up two earned runs on four hits over 4.0 innings to notch her first win of the season.
- Libby Larsen (Menasha, Wis./Menasha) was dealt the loss in the circle for the Warriors in the nightcap.
- Wisconsin Lutheran takes on Ohio Wesleyan (0-0) at 8 a.m. CST and Bridgewater St. (Mass.) (2-2) at 10 a.m. CST tomorrow in Fort Myers, Fla.