Apr 13, 2019
FOREST PARK, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team picked up its first win of the 2019 season Saturday, defeating Concordia Chicago 5-2 before falling to Dominican 9-0 in its final match of the day.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Concordia Chicago 2; Dominican 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-9, 1-5 NACC), Concordia Chicago (0-4, 0-4 NACC), Dominican (5-5, 3-3 NACC)
- Location: CUC Courts, River Forest, Ill./Park District, Forest Park, Ill.
- The Warriors and Cougars were even through doubles play. CUC edged WLC's No. 1 team of Jonny Wordell (Mequon, Wis.) and Matt Plaski (Milwaukee, Wis.), 8-7. The Green and White won No. 2 doubles by default.
- Wisconsin Lutheran then won two of the three contested singles matches. Wordell was a 6-1, 6-2 winner at No. 1 for his second singles win of the year, while David Ullerich (Milwaukee, Wis.) earned his first win after a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 3. The Warriors won by default at No. 3 and No. 4 singles for their seventh straight win over the Cougars.
- The Stars claimed a pair of close wins, 8-4 and 8-5, to open doubles play in the second match of the day. Trailing 3-0 after doubles, Wordell and Plaski each suffered three-set setbacks. Wordell was defeated 0-6, 6-2, 10-2 at No. 1 and Plaski was dealt a tough 3-6, 6-1, 10-8 decision at No. 2. DU won the remaining three contested matches in straight sets.
- The Warriors travel to Madison Tuesday for another NACC dual match against Edgewood (4-11, 2-2 NACC). First serve is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. at Quann Park.