HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's tennis team suffered a 7-2 defeat against Webster in its opening match of the PTR Spring TennisFest Sunday afternoon at Evian Tennis Center. Jonny Wordell (Mequon, Wis.) played a key role in both of the victories for the Warriors in the match.
- Final Score: Webster 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-7), Webster (2-1)
- Location: Evian Tennis Center, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the match with an 8-5 victory by Jonny Wordell and Ben Wordell (Mequon, Wis.) at the No. 1 doubles position, but Webster won the following two doubles tilts, taking a 2-1 lead into singles play.
- Jonny Wordell earned a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Austin Nation at the No. 2 singles position, marking his second triumph of the day.
- Matt Plaski (Milwaukee, Wis.) battled at the No. 3 singles position, but fell 2-6, 6-7.
- Webster swept the remaining matches, including a default victory at the No. 6 singles position, to earn the 7-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Jonny Wordell earned his 11th career victory in a Warriors uniform.
- The match marked the second meeting all-time between the programs, with the Gorloks collecting victories in both contests.
- The Warriors continue play in the Spring TennisFest when they face Marietta (1-3) Friday afternoon. The Pioneers fell to Arcadia by a score of 6-3 in their opening spring break match Sunday afternoon.