Posted: Sep 25, 2019
MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team opened NACC play Wednesday evening hosting Benedictine at Warriors Soccer Field. The Warriors kept pace with the Eagles for much of the match, but eventually fell 5-3.
- Final Score: Benedictine 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 3
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-3-0, 0-1-0 NACC), Benedictine (1-3-1, 1-0-0 NACC)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Benedictine raced out to an early lead, as Lukasz Sulka scored in just the second minute. Two quick passes allowed Sulka to split the Warriors defense and place a shot that found the back of the net.
- WLC tied the game in the 14th minute after a corner kick from sophomore Aedon Meurer (Waukesha, Wis.) found the foot of junior Alex Rivera (Milwaukee, Wis.) for his second goal of the season.
- The Eagles took the lead in the 30th minute, but the Warriors tied the game again five minutes later when Meurer blasted a shot from 30 yards out that beat the keeper to the upper right corner.
- In the second half, Benedictine took a 3-2 lead as Sulka scored his second goal of the game. But the Warriors evened the score again as freshman Josh Sepic (Mukwonago, Wis.) scored his first career collegiate goal.
- BenU scored two go-ahead goals later in the second half, in the 68' and 74', and the Warriors fell 5-3.
- The Warriors finished with 15 shots, including nine shots on goal. Junior Mario Caldwell (Milwaukee, Wis.) and Meurer paced the team with two shots on goal.
- Meurer was a factor in each Warriors goal, finishing with a goal and a pair of assists in 90 minutes.
- Junior Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) made seven saves in the match.
- WLC totaled eight corner kicks, compared to five for Benedictine.
- The Eagles totaled 20 shots, finishing with 12 shots on goal. Sulka and George Omondi-Soipan led the team with four shots on goal.
- Sulka's two goals increased his team-leading total to five on the season.
- Martin Jimenez-Estrada made six saves for the Eagles in the net.
- The Warriors are back in action Saturday afternoon when they host Dominican (5-2-2, 1-0-0 NACC) in a conference matchup. The Stars are coming off a 1-0 win over Illinois Tech Wednesday in their conference opener. Game time is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. and can be seen live on WLCSports.com.