Posted: Sep 18, 2019
MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team capped its non-conference slate by hosting Carroll Wednesday at Warriors Soccer Field. The Pioneers defeated WLC 3-0 in its final non-conference game of the season.
- Final Score: Carroll 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-2-0), Carroll (5-2-0)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- The Pioneers opened the scoring early, as Shea Connell gathered his own rebound and headed it past junior goalkeeper Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) just over four minutes into the game.
- The remainder of the first half saw Lehnen stop three shots, including a diving save on a shot by Austin Schulze from about 10 yards out to keep the game at 1-0.
- After a back-and-forth second half, Connell extended the lead on a breakaway goal from a feed by Issey Valadez at the 86-minute mark. It was the first shot on goal of the half for either team.
- Connell scored over three minutes later to earn a hat trick, after an errant Warriors pass allowed him to slip between two defenders for an unassisted goal.
- The Warriors attempted five shots, including one on goal. Freshman Josh Sepic (Mukwonago, Wis.) created the Warriors' best scoring chance in the final minute as he collected a ball and put a shot on net.
- Lehnen finished with four saves on seven shots faced.
- Both sides totaled three corner kicks.
- Connell collected his seventh, eighth, and ninth goals of the season with his hat trick performance. It was the first hat trick of his collegiate career.
- Goalkeeper Mathias Holm earned the shutout as he stopped the only shot he faced.
- The Warriors have a week off before beginning Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play next Wednesday at home against Benedictine (0-3-1). Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.