FOREST GROVE, Ore. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team fell to the Pacific Boxers 3-0 Friday night in its first of two Northwest contests. Despite a halftime tie, the hosts scored three times and outlasted a 34-minute lightning delay to earn the triumph over the visting Warriors.
- Final Score: Pacific 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-2-0), Pacific (1-1-1)
- Location: Hanson Stadium, Forest Grove, Ore.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled to create offense in the opening 25 minutes of the contest as neither team attempted a shot.
- The Boxers registered the first shot of the contest in the 29', but Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) corralled the ball to keep the game in a scoreless tie.
- Pacific created three more shots on goal in the remainder of the first half, but Lehnen preserved the shutout at the halftime break.
- The lone chance for the Warriors in the first half came in the 37' when Jacob Bruecker (Sheboygan, Wis.) broke through the Boxer defense, but his shot was saved.
- Just after the halftime break, Pacific broke through with a goal in the 47' minute when James Curro broke away from the WLC defense and buried the ball in the lower left corner, making the score 1-0 in favor of the hosts.
- Play was halted in the 67' when lightning was spotted near Hanson Stadium, causing both teams to leave the playing surface, resulting in a 34-minute weather delay.
- The Boxers pushed their lead to 2-0 in the 75' when Robert Nurmi settled a corner kick and fired the ball into the lower right corner.
- Pacific added one more goal in the 84' after Grant Rutledge scored an empty-net goal after a pass from Nurmi.
- The Warriors failed to hold possession in the final stages of the match, falling 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Bruecker paced the offensive effort for WLC with two shots, with one on target.
- Connor Schodorf (Appleton, Wis.) registered the only other shot on goal for the Warriors.
- Lehnen suffered the loss while making five saves.
FOR THE FOES
- Rutledge led the hosts with four shots, including three on goal.
- Nurmi tallied a goal and an assist.
- Brock Jones collected the win in goal, making two saves in 90 minutes.
- The Boxers outshot the Warriors 10-6 and held an 8-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Warriors continue their Northwest road trip when they take on Willamette Sunday. The Bearcats (2-1-1) battled to a 1-1 draw Friday afternoon vs. Albion. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. CST. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.