MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team suffered a 2-1 setback against the visiting Pacific Lutheran Lutes Friday night at Warriors Soccer Field. Freshman Jason Cano (Delavan, Wis.) opened the scoring in the ninth minute when he beat two Lutes defenders and found the back of the net, but the Warriors were unable to overcome two second half goals from PLU.
- Final Score: Pacific Lutheran 2, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1-0), Pacific Lutheran (1-0-0)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cano started the scoring when he stole the ball at the top of the box, then overpowered two defenders and beat the keeper to the bottom left of the goal.
- The Warriors nearly added to their lead at the 30-minute mark when Noah Hernandez (Glendale, Wis.) attempted a bicycle kick off of a corner kick that was saved by the PLU goalie.
- WLC took its 1-0 lead into the halftime break, but the Lutes knotted the contest at 1-1 in the 51st minute when Holton Halfaker found the back of the net after a cross into the box.
- PLU had two more shots on goal in the following three minutes, but Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) kept the contest tied at 1-1.
- Both teams struggled to gain any momentum in the following minutes until 85th when Joe Sammartino took a cross in the box and fired the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal, putting the Lutes ahead 2-1.
- The Warriors battled the clock as they looked for an equalizer, but ultimately were unable to find the back of the net in the final minutes of the contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Cano led the Warriors with three shots, including two on goal and his first career goal.
- Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis.), Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis.), Justin Kuffler (Moline, Ill.), and Hernandez also registered shots.
- Lehnen made three saves in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Sammartino led the way for PLU with five shots, with a goal and an assist.
- Halfaker followed with three shots and led the Lutes with two shots on goal.
- Cole Weaver earned the win in net, making one save in the second half.
- Pacific Lutheran out-shot the Warriors 15-7 and tallied seven corner kicks in the contest.
- The Lutes improved to 2-0-0 all-time against WLC.
- The Warriors travel to Beloit (0-1-0) Sunday for their first road contest of the season. Kick-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com