RIVER FOREST, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - Connor Schodorf (Appleton, Wis.) scored twice and the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team tied a season high with five goals en route to a 5-3 win over Concordia Chicago Sunday afternoon at Concordia Stadium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Concordia Chicago 3
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-8-0, 2-5-0 NACC), Concordia Chicago (2-11-0, 2-5-0 NACC)
- Location: Concordia Stadium, River Forest, Ill.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis.) gave the Warriors the lead in the 8' minute with a shot from 27 yards out over the out-stretched arms of the Cougars' keeper.
- The Warriors doubled their lead in the 31' minute off a corner from Gronholz that was headed inside the right post by Schodorf.
- Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis.) gave the Warriors a 3-0 lead in the 36' minute after a deflected shot found its way inside the right post for a three-goal lead at halftime.
- Concordia Chicago scored its first goal in the 55' minute of the second half with a rebounded shot from Aymen Maman that found the center of the net.
- Schodorf regained the Warriors' three-goal lead with a goal in the 67' minute to make it 4-1.
- Three minutes later, Jimmy Pierson (Brown Deer, Wis.) gave Wisconsin Lutheran a 5-1 lead in the 70' minute assisted by Ivan Herrera (Milwaukee, Wis.) with a shot left of the goalkeeper.
- The Cougars pulled one back in the 82' minute when Joel Krenz crossed the ball into the center from the left where Chris Arevalo headed it inside the right post to make the score 5-2.
- Less than two minutes later, CUC scored its third and final goal of the game off a shot from Ricardo Aragon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors out-shot Concordia Chicago 14-5 in the opening half, but were then out-shot 14-10 in the second period.
- Gronholz and Pierson paced the Warriors with five shots each, with nine of their 10 total shots combining to be on target.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) made seven saves in the match for WLC.
- The Warriors won a total of 12 corners, while Concordia collected five for the match.
- Wisconsin Lutheran won its sixth straight match over the Cougars and extended its unbeaten streak in the series to 13.
FOR THE FOES
- Aragon and Maman each tallied four shots to lead the Cougars, who finished with 19 for the match.
- Roberto Araagon made seven saves in 45:00 minutes, but was handed the loss for CUC in net.
- The Warriors close out their four-game road trip Wednesday with a 7:00 p.m. NACC match at Marian (8-7-0, 3-4-0 NACC). The Sabres snapped a three-match losing skid with a 3-2 double-overtime road win over Rockford Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.