MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team suffered a heartbreaking defeat Saturday afternoon after UW-Platteville scored the decisive goal in the 83' minute to claim the 2-1 victory over the Warriors at Warriors Soccer Field.
- Final Score: UW-Platteville 2, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-3-1), UW-Platteville (5-1-0)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team scored a goal in the opening half.
- After a hand ball inside the box in the opening :38 seconds of the second half, the Pioneers' Jon Stopple converted the penalty try to give UWP the 1-0 lead.
- Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis.) knotted the score at 1-1 in the 74' minute after a cross from Alex Rivera (Milwaukee, Wis.) in the box was punched out initially by the Pioneers' goalkeeper.
- The Pioneers scored the decisive goal in the 83' minute on Stopple's second goal of the match on a cross from Lucas Aplin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Serna netted his fourth goal of the year for WLC and second in as many matches. He led the attack with three shots for the Warriors.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) recorded four saves in 90 minutes in goal for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- UW-Platteville held a 19-13 advantage in shots for the match. Both sides attempted a pair of corner kicks.
FOR THE FOES
- Stopple scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season to lead UW-Platteville.
- Logan Rinderknecht attempted seven shots to pace the Pioneers.
- Nate Miller made three saves to earn his fifth win in net.
- UWP won its fourth straight match over WLC.
- The Warriors return to action Wednesday when they travel to Lakeland (0-5-0, 0-0-0 NACC) for their NACC opener. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. at Taylor Field. The Muskies last lost 4-1 Tuesday to Maranatha. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.