MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team suffered its first loss of the season after dropping a defensive battle, 1-0, against Knox in the final match of the Warrior Cup Sunday afternoon at Warriors Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Knox 1, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-1-1), Knox (4-1-1)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors' best chance to crack the scoring column came in the 28' minute when Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis.) had a penalty kick that was denied by a diving save from the Knox goalkeeper.
- Neither team found the back of the net in the opening half of play and the score remained 0-0 through 45 minutes.
- Knox held the advantage in shots in the first half, 10-3.
- The Prairie Fire finally tallied the lone score of the match in the 60' minute with a penalty kick goal from Erick Karkut.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Knox's defense limited the Warriors' attack, as the Prairie Fire out-shot WLC, 20-5.
- Gronholz and Marco Perez (Milwaukee, Wis.) each had two shots each for the Green and White.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) recorded four saves in 90 minutes in goal for the Warriors.
- Lehnen, Connor Schodorf (Appleton, Wis.), and Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis.) were named to the Warrior Cup All-Tournament Team.
- Sunday marked the first-ever meeting between WLC and Knox.
FOR THE FOES
- James Barrington paced Knox with four shots.
- Justin Dunn earned his first win of the season in goal with two saves.
- Karkut was named Tournament MVP.
- The Warriors return to action Wednesday night with a road contest against St. Norbert (2-2-0). Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. in De Pere. The Green Knights are coming off a 2-1 win Saturday over Hope. A link to live video will be available at WLCSports.com.