WAUKESHA, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – Two first-half goals were enough for the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team to earn its second straight win by holding off Carroll by a score of 2-1 Wednesday night in non-conference action at Schneider Stadium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 2, Carroll 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-0-1), Carroll (0-3-0)
- Location: Schneider Stadium, Waukesha, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors got on the board early when Victor Ramirez (Milwaukee, Wis.) scored his first goal of the season in the 8' minute off a deflection in the box from Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis.).
- WLC added another first-half goal in the 25' minute after Serna found the back of the net from 30 yards out with his left foot.
- The Warriors went into halftime with a 2-0 lead and held the hosts to just one shot in the opening 45 minutes of action.
- The Pioneers' attack put pressure on WLC and finally found the scoring column in the 82' minute with a goal from Matt Quint to cut the lead in half at 2-1.
- Carroll had one final chance to force extra time, but Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla.) saved the final shot with just :16 seconds remaining in regulation.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The hosts out-shot the Warriors, 13-8, including 12-3 in the second half. The Pioneers also held the advantage in shots on goal, 9-4.
- Serna paced the Warriors' attack with three shots, two on goal, while adding a goal and an assist.
- Lehnen recorded eight saves in 90 minutes in goal for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- Wisconsin Lutheran snapped a two-match losing streak to Carroll, winning for the first time since 2008.
FOR THE FOES
- Scott Biancofiori led Carroll with seven shots, including five on goal.
- Connor Thompson made two saves in net for CU.
- The Warriors return home this weekend to host the Warrior Cup at Warriors Soccer Field. Wisconsin Lutheran will face Franklin (0-2-0) Saturday and Knox (1-1-1) Sunday. Kick-off for both matches is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Franklin and Knox will open action for the Warrior Cup at 6:00 p.m. Friday. Links to live stats and video will be available for all three matches at WLCSports.com.