MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) scored the golden goal in the 95' as the sixth-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team completed an improbably comeback to defeat third-seeded MSOE 3-2 in overtime on Sunday in a NACC Tournament First Round game at Viets Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, MSOE 2 (OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-7-4), MSOE (11-8-1)
- Location: Viets Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 197
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team found the back of the net in the opening 45 minutes. Both goalies made a trio of saves as WLC narrowly out-shot MSOE, 9-8.
- The Raiders broke the scoreless match and got on the board first in the 63' as Sam D'Amato scored off of a centering cross from Sean Tabbert and Danny Bader.
- MSOE padded its lead to 2-0 just over three minutes later when Braden Andryk scored his 22nd goal of the season after a Tabbert steal and pass.
- The Warriors cut the deficit in half in the 74' when Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) finished home a volley off assists from Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) and Trey Hendricks (Fort Atkinson, Wis./Fort Atkinson).
- After the Raiders had a player sent off in the 77', WLC took advantage as Jimmy Pierson (Brown Deer, Wis./Brown Deer) netted the equalizer in the 83' after Ryan White's (East Troy, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) shot hit the cross bar.
- The contest remained tied at 2-2 through the end of regulation.
- Gronholz sent the Warriors to their first-ever NACC Tournament win in the 95' on an unassisted blast off his left foot from 30 yards out. It was the only shot attempt from either team in the extra period.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors held the shot advantage over the Raiders for the second time this year by a slim 22-21 margin. WLC held a 10-8 edge in shots on goal.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) made six saves in net for WLC to earn his ninth win of the year.
- Gronholz and Pierson tallied six shots each to lead the Warriors, three of which were on target.
- It was the second game-winning goal of the season for Gronholz, who leads the team with seven goals.
- Andryk and Tabbert recorded five shots each for MSOE. Tabbert tallied two assists on the afternoon.
- The win was the first NACC Tournament victory for the Warriors in four previous appearances. It also marked WLC's first win over MSOE since 2007.
- Wisconsin Lutheran advances to Wednesday's NACC Tournament Semifinal where it will face top-seeded Dominican (12-2-3, 9-0-1 NACC) at 1:00 p.m. in River Forest, Ill. Links to live stats and video will be available for the matchup at WLCSports.com. The Stars and Warriors last met in the conference opener back on September 21, with DU coming away with a 7-0 victory. Dominican led just 1-0 at halftime in that first meeting.