MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Wisconsin Lutheran College had two apparent goals wiped away via offside rulings and Marian scored late in the second half to send the Warriors men's soccer team to a 1-0 defeat Thursday on Senior Night at Warrior Soccer Field. With the loss, the Warriors are the No. 6 seed in the NACC Tournament and will play at No. 3 MSOE on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
- Final Score: Marian 1, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-7-4, 4-4-2 NACC), Marian (6-9-1, 4-5-1 NACC)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 143
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opening half, neither team could find the net as the score remained 0-0 when the halftime horn sounded.
- In the 73', Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) made a fantastic save on a penalty kick by Muhammad Abshir. It was Lehnen's second penalty kick save in the past two games.
- The Warriors appeared to take the lead in the 76' on a shot by Chase Maxwell (Green Bay, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran), but it was ruled a no-goal via an offside decision.
- In the 86', Marian's Abshir fired a shot into the goal on a double-assist by Chris Nelson and Cristian Rodriguez.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Sabres narrowly out-shot the Warriors 18-15, including 8-2 in shots on goal.
- Lehnen recorded eight saves playing all 90:00 minutes in net for the Warriors.
- Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran), Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee), Connor Schodorf (Appleton, Wis./St. Mary Central), Teon Fountain (Madison, Wis./Memorial), Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran), and Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Anthony) led WLC with two shots each.
- Marian's Abshir led the Sabres with seven shots. Ian Chacon made two saves to preserve the clean sheet for Marian.
- Thursday marked the final home game for Warriors seniors Maxwell, Enrique Arreola (Anna, Ill./Anna-Jonesboro), and Trey Hendricks (Fort Atkinson, Wis./Fort Atkinson).
- The Warriors earned the sixth seed in the upcoming NACC Tournament and will face third-seeded MSOE (11-7-1, 6-3-1 NACC) on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at Viets Field in downtown Milwaukee. The Warriors and Raiders played to a 2-2 draw less than a week ago in their only matchup of the season. Links to live stats and video will be available for the contest at WLCSports.com.