MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team scored an early goal and held on the rest of the way to defeat Martin Luther 1-0 and claim the Warrior Cup trophy on Sunday afternoon at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Martin Luther 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-0-1), Martin Luther (1-2-0)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 243
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors scored what would be the game-winning goal only 4' into the first half when Trey Hendricks (Fort Atkinson, Wis./Fort Atkinson) crossed a ball into the box that connected with the head of Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) to put the Warriors up 1-0.
- WLC had several other chances to add to its lead the rest of the way, but was unable to add any insurance. Meanwhile, the Knights were held without a shot on goal despite threatening multiple times for an equalizer.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors dominated the shot column, out-shooting the Knights 26-9 including a 7-0 shot on goal advantage.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) picked up the shutout in the net for the Warriors and improved his mark to 2-0-1 on the season.
- Gronholz led the Warriors with nine shots and three on goal.
- Caleb King notched six saves in the net for MLC and Joseph Graumann tallied four shots.
- Four Warriors made the All-Tournament Team, highlighted by Gronholz's MVP honor. Joining him were Hendricks, Connor Schodorf (Appleton, Wis./St. Mary Central), and Marco Perez (Milwaukee, Wis./Hamilton).
- The Warriors improved to 5-1 all-time against the Knights.
- Wisconsin Lutheran concludes its three-match homestand on Wednesday when it hosts St. Norbert (1-0-0) in non-conference action at 7:00 p.m. Live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com.