MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Despite peppering the net with 50 shots, the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team opened its competition in the Warrior Cup with a 1-1 double-overtime draw against Crown on Saturday afternoon in its home opener at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Crown 1 (2 OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-0-1), Crown (0-1-1)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 120
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WLC opened the scoring in the 22' when Ryan White (East Troy, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) headed the ball into the net for his first goal of the season off a long throw-in from Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran).
- The Storm answered quickly to even up the score as Storm Heyer scored off a 40-yard free kick assisted by Ger Jones just two minutes later.
- Both teams remained scoreless for the rest of the match, resulting in a 1-1 draw in 2 OT.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors dominated the shot count 50-5, including 25-3 in shots on goal.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) started the game in goal for the Warriors, playing the opening 45:00.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) saved the only two shots on goal he faced over the final 65:00.
- Gronholz led all players with a program-record 14 shots, with seven on goal. White and Yussef Sahraoui (South Milwaukee, Wis./ South Milwaukee) contributed six shots.
- Jones led Crown with two shots, both of which were on goal.
- Eli Etzel came through down the stretch in goal for the Storm, tallying a total of 24 saves in the match.
- The Warriors return to action on Sunday afternoon in the Warrior Cup as they host Martin Luther (1-1-0) at 1:00 p.m. at Warrior Soccer Field. The Knights defeated Iowa Wesleyan 1-0 in the first game on Saturday. The winner will determine which team takes home the Warrior Cup trophy. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCsports.com.