BELOIT, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – Second half goals from Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) and Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) lifted the Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team to a 2-1 comeback victory over Beloit on Thursday in its 2016 season opener at Strong Complex Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 2, Beloit 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-0-0), Beloit (0-1-0)
- Location: Strong Complex Soccer Field, Beloit, Wis. | Attendance: 125
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Buccaneers got on the board first when Joe Froelich found the back of the net in the 13th minute off an assist from Isaiah Turner-Wyatt.
- WLC's first goal of the season came in the 69th minute when Gronholz scored on a penalty kick to knot the score 1-1.
- The Warriors' game-winner came in the 84th minute with Gronholz assisting Zupinski for the 2-1 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors out-shot Beloit 13-10, including 10-3 in the second half.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) recorded his first collegiate win while playing the final 45 minutes in the second half. Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made two saves in the first half.
- Gronholz, Zupinski, Ryan White (East Troy, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran), and Marco Perez (Milwaukee, Wis./Hamilton) led WLC with two shots apiece.
- Turner-Wyatt and Jose Gutierrez led the Bucs with three shots, including one on goal.
- Jere Bauer saved three shots in goal for Beloit in 90 minutes in the net.
- The Warriors won their second straight game over the Buccaneers.
- The Warriors return to action this weekend when they host the Warrior Cup at Warrior Soccer Field. WLC opens competition against Crown (0-0) at Noon on Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.